Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I saw this sentence in a DaF grammar exercise book:

Statt dass wir hier lange Erklärungen geben, sollten wir lieber mit den Übungen anfangen.

I found the structure very interesting, so I googled it. And I found a discussion on one of the language forums where a couple of people expressed their opinion and said that "statt dass" doesn't sound very good in German.

They recommend rephrasing it into "statt ... zu..." structure. So I guess it would be something like: "Statt hier lange Erklärungen zu geben..."

Is that true? Then why would they include it in a textbook for someone who learns German as a second language?

share|improve this question

Sounds bad style to me too... textbooks are not always the greatest. Maybe just take it as an example that they are not perfect –  Emanuel Mar 31 '13 at 20:43
But this sentence is from a Hueber textbook Großes Übungsbuch Grammatik. This company publishes a lot of books about languages. So strange that they don't pay attention to bad style. –  stillenat Apr 1 '13 at 13:41

I think it is grammatically correct but I'd never write it that way. I might say though. –  Steffen Roller Apr 1 '13 at 18:53

It is more recent usage. While it is still considered bad style, it nonetheless is correct. I recommend using the sentence using "... zu ...". If you are still learning German, it is helpful to first learn the "good style" and only later let it slip a little. That way, you can better understand the underlying rules. –  TvF Apr 3 '13 at 9:50

the "statt ... zu..." structure is veeerrry correct and sounds good or "anstelle, dass wir hier lange warten, sollten wir..." –  john Smith Mar 16 at 19:10
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

Using "Statt dass" would be quite the same as using 'stead of in English. It wouldn't be wrong, but it would also be a bit sloppy. I would recommend "Anstatt lange Erklärungen zu geben, sollten wir lieber mit den Übungen anfangen." which would mean "instead ofgiving long explanations…".

Or, an alternative that would also be nice: "Anstelle langer Erklärungen" ["In place of long explanations [where the meaning of "long" would be in the direction of exhausting] …"

share|improve this answer
Depending on the word order stattdessen may also be a good choice. –  0xC0000022L Apr 6 '13 at 19:58
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.