Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here is an excerpt form the Book "German: An Essential Grammar":

enter image description here

I was surprised to see the suffix -sal, of which I had never encountered.

What is the usage of this of this suffix?

share|improve this question
Schicksal, Trübsal (blasen), ... I don't know more of the top of my head. –  Em1 Apr 14 '13 at 15:27

+1 for umalautable :) –  Carsten Schultz Sep 18 '13 at 18:15

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

The suffix -sal is derived from Middle High German "-sel" to build nouns from verbs. Resulting nouns can be of neuter or female gender.

Examples (Verb > Noun)

laben > das/die Labsal
scheuen > das Scheusal
trüben > die Trübsal
mühen > die Mühsal
rinnen > das Rinnsal

Curious side note: sometimes the resulting noun is again transformed back to a verb:

drängen > die Drangsal > drangsalieren

share|improve this answer

So how does "Schicksal" mean "fate"? –  Tom Au Apr 14 '13 at 18:40
@TomAu: The root 'schick' is no more directly related to the concept of fate in contemporary German. You might consult: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/schicken - in particular, "schick" as an adjective (pretty, suitable), the reflexive verb "sich schicken" (to be appropiate) and "Geschick" (roughly: ability) provide some hint to the origins of "Schicksal". You might note that "-sal" is no more a productive suffix in general. –  shuhalo Apr 14 '13 at 23:22

@Martin/@TomAu: Actually, with „Geschick“ you hit the bull's eye but got confused at the same time by its second meaning. Your translation "ability" comes from the adjectiv „geschickt“, meaning "quite skilled" or even "clever". But the much older noun „Geschick“ is nothing less than a synonym for „Schicksal“, ergo: "Destiny". I can even dare some sophistry in finding in „Geschick“ the verb „schicken“, meaning "to send" (along), "to forward". So it all makes sense in the end, as you arrive where you are sent to, in meating your destiny. ;-) All absurdity in my text is due to my being, actually, –  user3433 Sep 18 '13 at 10:15

Grimm leitet Schicksal von schicken ab und schreibt zu letzterem: „in älterer sprache vorwiegend im sinne von ordnen, rüsten, bereiten, einrichten, fügen, ins werk setzen, bewirken, schaffen, wenden, richten“ –  Carsten Schultz Sep 18 '13 at 12:19

@Martin: I think that the adjective schick is not cognate with schicken anyway, but derived from chique. –  Carsten Schultz Sep 18 '13 at 14:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.