Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I want to learn the German language, which dialect should I learn?

In other words, I would like to know about the dialect which is most common?

(I have just arrived in Germany and living in Bavaria for at least next 2 years, I am currently at level B1)

share|improve this question

You preferably learn standard German but get used to the Bavarian dialect as well (which will happen either way if you're living there for two years). –  Em1 Apr 21 '13 at 17:33

Possible duplicate: german.stackexchange.com/questions/5808/… –  Eugene Seidel Apr 21 '13 at 22:26

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Hochdeutsch is the description for the contemporary standard version of German, they way the language is usually written and spoken. Therefore, it is also the easiest variation to learn, because if you look for exercise books, they will cover most probably Hochdeutsch instead of a dialect.

share|improve this answer

Well, I don't thinkt, that there German classes other than Hochdeutsch. Even here in Bavaria. All the dialects are 'only' spoken, there's no offical writing for none of them. –  Christian Graf Apr 22 '13 at 12:21

In some Swiss dialects, there are rules for writing, but they are rarely used. –  gamag May 27 '13 at 19:04
@ChristianGraf Asterix in Mundart is written in dialect. (Please check your spelling.) –  Robert Aug 21 at 20:01

@ChristianGraf, there is definitely a Kölsch-to-German dictionary. And I own half a dozen records with lyrics written in Kölsch, with translations into German. –  gnasher729 yesterday

Right, you will have to learn the standard written German, that the Germans pronounce very differently according to the region where they come from - this standard or Hochdeutsch is "spiced up" with a lot of dialect words added and pronounced somewhat differently from what the written version. It can be quite hard to understand especially the Bavarian dialect (although the Bavarians will always understand you speaking standard "high" German), with the Swiss German the case is even worse, which I (being a German teacher myself) cannot really understand without difficulty. Also some people will make fun of you, speaking strong dialect to make you look stupid. Yes, there is something called "German humor" ! Don´t worry: Ask them politely to speak slower and they will, after some months you will be OK !

share|improve this answer

I doubt that this answer is useful. It does not add new facts to the already given answer, and your good advice will likely be a bit late, 16 months after the question was raised. –  Matthias Aug 21 at 20:46

@Matthias: It does add new aspects, however in a very unstructured manner. Considering the late advice: This question is of general interest (as all questions should be), so this does not matter. –  Wrzlprmft Aug 22 at 11:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.