Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Original:

Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
Yesterday is a promise that you've broken
Don't close your eyes
This is your life and today is all you've got now
And today is all you'll ever have
This is your life Are you who you want to be?
This is your life Is it everything you've dreamed it would be When the world was younger And you had everything to lose?
Yesterday is a kid in the corner
Yesterday is dead and over

My translation:

Gestern ist ein Falten auf ihren Stirn
Gestern ist ein Versprechen das Sie haben gebrochen
Schlissen ihren augen nicht
Das ist ihren Leben and heute ist alles Sie jetzt haben
Und heute ist alles Sie allzeit haben
Das ist ihren Leben, Sind sie was Sie wollen sein?
Das ist ihren Leben, ist es alles Sie haben geträumt es wuerde wenn das wel war juenger und Sie haben alles zu verlogen sein?
Gestern ist ein kind in der eke
Gestern ist tot und vorbei

Attempted to translate This is your life by Switchfoot. I didn't really want to test myself against Google translator. Please let me know where I went wrong.

share|improve this question

1. Changed in order to make it readable. - 2. Voted for close, we're not doing prove-reading. - 3. There're bags of erros but you're lucky. Someone already answered. –  Em1 Apr 21 '13 at 17:48
add comment

closed as off topic by Em1, Takkat Apr 21 '13 at 18:08

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I would go with "Du" instead of "Sie", alternative translations in italics

Gestern ist eine Falte (eine Narbe) auf Deiner Stirn

Gestern ist ein Versprechen das Du gebrochen hast

Schliesse Deine Augen nicht

Das ist Dein Leben und heute ist alles was Du jetzt hast

Und heute ist alles was Du immer haben wirst Und heute ist das einzige was Du immer haben wirst

Das ist Dein Leben, bist Du was Du sein willst?

Das ist Dein Leben, ist es alles was Du Dir erträumt hast als die Welt noch jünger war und Du alles zu verlieren hattest?

Gestern ist ein Kind in der Ecke

Gestern ist tot und vorbei.

share|improve this answer

Thank you, but I only learn the Sie form so that is what I use. –  Noman Arain Apr 21 '13 at 17:54

It must be "eine Falte". –  Landei Apr 21 '13 at 20:50
"and" is not a German word. Accepting this as the answer is a laugh at best. The translation is so wrong in so many places that it's hard to know where to begin. –  teylyn Apr 21 '13 at 21:27

@teylyn Feel free to edit those many places if you like :-) –  patrix Apr 22 '13 at 5:04

@patrix The purpose of editing other's Q&A is not to change their statements but to correct typos, edit formatting styles and such. It'd be wrong to revise your translations. –  Em1 Apr 22 '13 at 6:55
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.