Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I frequently come across words like versprechen, erhalten, beliefern. Because my vocabulary is limited, i can detect that the verbs sprechen, halten and liefern were spoken but i do not know what ver-sprechen, er-halten and be-liefern mean. Is there a definite meaning of prefixes like these?

How should i tackle this topic of prefixes so that when a verb with a prefix is spoken, i can guess/know what it would mean. Thanks

share|improve this question

yes, there is but hardly can it be framed in a catchy manner. You can either accept up to 5 different concepts or you have to settle for a REALLY vague and abstract idea that each prefix kind of sort of represents... they are an integral part of German and you will likely spend some time on them. –  Emanuel May 6 '13 at 20:33

Has there been a software update? The suggestions in the "Related" sidebar are getting better. –  Eugene Seidel May 7 '13 at 3:05
add comment

marked as duplicate by Eugene Seidel, teylyn, Takkat May 7 '13 at 6:36

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer

there is a difference, and you cant say its general this (...) way.

for example sprechen means talking. but versprechen means promise or to misspeak

you have to learn them, there isnt a general rule i guess

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.