Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My intuition says ['fʁɔbɪnjuːs] but not sure about it.

BTW, The person in question is 'Ferdinand Georg Frobenius' (the mathematician).

share|improve this question

Would you mind telling us why you don't visit, say, Youtube and play a Frobenius-themed video with an Anglophone mathematician as the speaker (if you want British or U.S. pronunciation) or a vid with a Germanophone mathematician (for German pronunciation)? –  Eugene Seidel May 7 '13 at 17:28

'Frobenius Mathematik' ----> returned nothing. Also 'Frobenius Mathematiker' returned nothing. 'Frobenius' itself returns English or other languages videos (no German). Got any particular video in mind? –  user2801 May 7 '13 at 17:59
I tend to pronounce that guy [fʁɔ'beːnjus] –  Johannes Kloos May 7 '13 at 19:58
"frobenius pronunciation" and "frobenius aussprache" yield several hits at Google. –  Uwe May 7 '13 at 22:13
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

/fʁoˈbeːniʊs/ (primary stress on the second syllable)

The r is more fricative, although a slightly rolling /ʀ/ is appropriate for more articulate pronunciation (e.g. when speaking in front of a larger audience without PA system). However, in some rural regions in the northwest, in the south of Germany as well as in Austria and Switzerland, natives will roll it stronger, like /ʀ/ or even /r/.

/ˈfɛʁdinant ˈgeːɔʁk fʁoˈbeːniʊs/

(In Ferdinand, the r is often slurred away completely, making it /ˈfɛɐ̯dinant/. Some people will pronounce the first syllable more like /feːɐ̯/.)

( See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_IPA-Zeichen#R )

share|improve this answer

Thanks, very helpful. –  user2801 May 10 '13 at 5:16

Dawg, I'm still trying to track down the cause of my IPA display problem in Chrome. Now in your Answer, I see all the IPA glyphs in your first, second, and third paragraph, but in your fourth, I see only rectangles. Have you used different fonts here, and if so, what are they? –  Eugene Seidel May 14 '13 at 5:47

@EugeneSeidel Not sure if this is related, but my usual browser (Safari 6.0.4) seems to have problems with the SE text editor whenever I put in the 'non-syllabic' or any other symbol that modifies other characters (using IPA Palette 2.1.1 by Brian Hall) – seems to insert some non-printing characters that make a number of glyphs overlap… I'll re-edit it with Firefox, where this doesn't happen. Does it get better now? –  TehMacDawg May 14 '13 at 18:32

Yes! I see all the IPA glyphs now and no more rectangles :) –  Eugene Seidel May 14 '13 at 22:23

Good. So Safari and Chrome cause trouble with this kind of IPA symbols. Mist. –  TehMacDawg May 14 '13 at 23:02
show 2 more comments

The second syllable gets the stress, i.e. [fʀoːˈbeːni̯ʊs]. This is according to latin rules (penultimate syllable is stressed if long, otherwise the one before it) that are observed in the German pronunciation of Latin. Examples include Auˈsonius or Auˈrelius.

I agree with the stress on the second syllable, but I have the impression that the most common vowel in the first syllable is a short closed o, that is, [fʀoˈbeːni̯ʊs] or [fʁoˈbeːni̯ʊs]. –  Uwe May 7 '13 at 22:11

Surprisingly, as I just noted when looking for comparable cases, Frobenius is listed in Duden Aussprachewörterbuch (3rd edition, 1990). The pronunciation is given as [froˈbeːni̯ʊs], so indeed with short o. –  chirlu May 7 '13 at 22:15
add comment

Since Frobenius is a latinised name, the traditional German pronunciaton of latin words should apply: [ˈfʀoːbeːni̯ʊs] (with the usual variation of the pronunciaton of the letter r). This is also the pronunciaton I heard among mathematicians.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.