Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Ever since I have arrived in Germany, I have been picking up words I here often and then going back home to check their meanings. There is one word that still baffles me.

It is a form of greeting.

For example, when I enter my office, someone would say servos. I am not sure if that is exactly what they say, but it sound like chavos, sevos or something like that.

I hope someone of you has an idea what I am referring to. I asked two of my friends here and one told me it is a way to greet restricted to Bavaria an also used in Romania. He told me it was spelled servos but I can't find this word in a German dictionary.

What exactly is it? I live in Nuremberg, if that is important.

share|improve this question
+1 for the reason you show that you consulted friends and dictionaries before just asking this question. –  Em1 May 9 '13 at 17:36
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

It's from Latin,

servus

meaning slave, servant.

So when someone greets you,

Servus!

it meant originally "[I am your] servant" but it is nowadays only a friendly greeting, like "Hi!" in English.

Think of old-fashioned sign-offs in English letter-writing:

Your obdt. & humble servant

You will hear "Servus!" much more often in southern Germany and somewhat more frequently in the lower and lower-middle class strata of society.

share|improve this answer
hmm. I really like the word but after reading your answer I am not sure if I should make a habit of using this word or not :( –  detraveller May 9 '13 at 16:05
Up to you. I should add that in general it is used between friends or people who know each other well, but in some situations -- construction workers at a building site, for example -- perfect strangers may address each other that way. –  Eugene Seidel May 9 '13 at 16:22
... and needless to say (?), it is always "Servus! Weisst du, wo der Strom ist?", never "Servus! Wissen Sie, wo der Strom ist?". Always duzen, never siezen. This could lead to an awkward situation if you're not sure that the guy wearing the hardhat is someone in the building trades like you or someone of elevated rank. The safe way to steer around this awkwardness is to duz but in the second person plural: "Servus! Wisst ihr, wo der Strom ist?" –  Eugene Seidel May 9 '13 at 19:22

@EugeneSeidel why did you make this a comment. it is a perfect explanation as to the usage –  Vogel612 May 10 '13 at 7:26

@Vogel612 I don't see why not? The conversation between the Asker and I will stay forever and always be useful to future readers. Also, it pleases my sense of esthetics not to airbrush out of existence the way thoughts come: sometimes in fits and starts :) –  Eugene Seidel May 10 '13 at 8:02
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.