Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you say the following in German?

• I want to eat an apple.
  • I like to eat apples.
  • I have to eat an apple.

Can you apply the same context to all verbs?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

1. I want to eat an apple.

• Ich will einen Apfel essen
    • Ich möchte gerne einen Apfel essen (as @teylyn mentions, a more polite form)
  2. I like to eat apples.

• Ich esse gerne Äpfel.
  3. I have to eat an apple.

• Ich muss einen Apfel essen.
    • Ich soll einen Apfel essen.

Concerning the last question, if you are asking whether the modal verbs "wollen" (to want) and "müssen" (have to/gotta/being forced to) apply for all verbs, they do.

share|improve this answer

Zusätzlich kann Ich mag/liebe Äpfel auch bedeuten, dass man Äpfel gerne isst. Zum Bleistift: "Ich liebe Schokolade, aber Äpfel mag ich auch. Gurken esse ich aber nicht so gern." - Mal davon abgesehen, dass mir schon das englische "I have to eat an apple", aber vor allen Dingen im Deutschen das "Ich muss einen Apfel essen" nicht natürlich vorkommt, wäre durchaus gängig "etwas brauchen" zu sagen, wenn man Heißhunger oder Durst hat. "Ich brauch jetzt erstmal 'nen kühlen Drink." - "Ich brauch was deftiges zum Essen." –  Em1 May 13 '13 at 7:28

Thanks a lot! I am trying to find the quickest and simplest way to learn German and this is very helpful. –  Ian Barnett May 28 '13 at 12:10

@userunknown danke, schon gemacht. –  c.p. Aug 12 '13 at 6:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.