Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can "liegen" be used for people. For instance

I am here. - Ich liege hier.

or it is wrong?

Is Ich bin hier better?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Ich liege hier means something different than Ich bin hier, so the answer is no

Usage examples:

liegen: Ich liege im Bett. -> you're literally lying in bed
sein: Ich bin in Berlin. -> you're located in Berlin

Exceptions:

• Berlin liegt in Deutschland is correct
  • Die Banane liegt im Kühlschrank is also correct

→ Basically, you can say it's incorrect if it's related to a creature (animal/person/...).

share|improve this answer

can you add another example ? –  Blackbelt May 13 '13 at 13:19

can i ask what you dont understand? because basically it's that, that you have to notice that liegen means lying and is not the same like ich bin hier -> i am here –  Postback May 13 '13 at 13:26

I think I get it . Thanks –  Blackbelt May 13 '13 at 13:31
Unless you refer to geographical entities, "liegen" always indicates a (mostly) horizontal orientation. "Die Flasche liegt im Kühlschrank" may be correct, provided that the bottle is lying; if it's standing upright, it must be "... steht im Kühlschrank". "Der Fernseher liegt im Wohnzimmer" is certainly incorrect, and "Das Brandenburger Tor liegt in Berlin" also sounds a bit strange. I don't think that there is a general distinction between animate and inanimate beings in connection with "liegen" –  Uwe May 13 '13 at 15:28
"Kalkutta liegt am Ganges, Berlin liegt an der Spree; und dass ich so verliebt bin, das liegt an Marlene" -- sorry, couldn't resist. –  teylyn May 14 '13 at 11:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.