Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to learn german and I think I would really benefit from reading short stories in german. Possibly with a translation. So do you know any good sites that can offer me that?

share|improve this question

Do the short stories have to be (a) online and (b) available cost-free? –  Eugene Seidel May 17 '13 at 4:26

@EugeneSeidel Yes that would be great. for me at least :) Or at least be available in a library! –  detraveller May 18 '13 at 0:31

I enjoyed reading Klein Zaches, genannt Zinnober by E. T. A. Hoffmann. Not sure if it's exactly short. –  bfavaretto May 18 '13 at 1:51

IMHO the stories by Kafka are an easy read, although it might not be your taste. –  Hellenologophilist May 18 '13 at 23:06

Big-list-questions are not a good fit for our question & answer site (see FAQ) as these will grow endlessly over time and will then be of little help for future visitors. –  Takkat May 21 '13 at 7:16
add comment

closed as off topic by Takkat May 21 '13 at 7:16

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

I am not sure if it's a short story or not but the novel Momo by Michael Ende is a popular recommendation for German readers.

share|improve this answer

I am ignoring its pleading eyes for weeks now. It is shooting daggers at me from the bedside as we speak. :( –  Anurag Kalia May 19 '13 at 3:05
add comment

Short stories, as well as other works of literature, are available for download at Project Gutenberg DE. Check the Project's English pages to see whether English translations of them are also available.

When in a library, just ask the librarian.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.