Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The e and ä are considered as different phonemes. In practice, do people make and notice the difference? Which problems, if any, would not bothering to make such difference lead to?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In standard pronunciation, short "ä" is [ɛ] and short "e" is [ə], [ɛ], or [e], where the last one occurs in foreign words ("Methode" [meˈtoːdə]) but rarely in native ones ("lebendig" [leˈbɛndɪk]). That means that most of the time, there is no audible difference between short "ä" and "e". For instance, the vowels in "nässer" and "besser" are the same, namely [ɛ].

Long "ä" is [ɛː], long "e" is usually [eː], so the long vowels are clearly distinguished.

Dialects often differ. Many North Germans, for instance, will consistently replace [ɛː] by [eː], and if I remember correctly, there are South German dialects that make a difference between short "ä" and "e".

For non-native speakers: Replacing short [e] by [ɛ] is unproblematic. Short [e] is rare, there is no risk of semantic ambiguities, and many people will simply not notice it. Replacing long [ɛː] by [eː] or vice versa can lead to semantic ambiguities ("ich sehe/ich sähe"). It will be noticed and it's considered as a mistake, but it's a mistake that is also common among native speakers, so I think that you will be understood.

share|improve this answer

Would it be possible to give a recipe to correctly pronounce [ɛ]? I mean, to pronounce "ö" I was told to open the mouth as if I wanted to say "o" but then pronounce an [e]. Same for "ü" ([y]): mouth as for saying "u" but then say [ɪ]. With some practice this works. But I got no rule for "ä" so it just sounds as [e] when I say it. –  c.p. May 18 '13 at 16:09
[ɛ] is the first vowel of the diphthong in English "bear" and the vowel of French "être" or Italian "è". Does that help? Try to find a mouth position in the middle between [e] and [a]. –  Uwe May 18 '13 at 16:23

It does help, thanks. –  c.p. May 18 '13 at 16:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.