Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If you have a word like 'Strasse' and it forms part of a street name for example, then I would assume that you still pronounce the word as though it were by itself.

But are there examples of when you wouldn't pronounce ST as SHT?

share|improve this question
Am be*st*en frag*st* Du jemanden, der das *Sht*udiert hat. I don't know the underlying rule... –  bjoernz May 31 '11 at 9:55
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 25 down vote accepted

In standard German pronunciation, this happens when (and only when) st is the first part of a syllable.

Straße -- Stra·ße -- /ˈʃt/

verstehen -- ver·ste·hen -- /ˈʃt/

Kasten -- kas·ten -- /st/

bester -- bes·ter -- /st/

fast -- fast -- /st/

I'll add that there are a few loan words that can be pronounced without the SH sound, e.g. Star, Stimulus, Stracciatella, Spam, Stil. See the comments for some discussion on the subject.

share|improve this answer
+1; correct for standard German. –  OregonGhost May 31 '11 at 10:01
@Gigili It doesn't matter which syllable it happens in, as long as it's the onset. –  Tim N May 31 '11 at 10:11
Does the same hold true for SP = SHP then? Sorry, it's not completely clear –  adolf garlic May 31 '11 at 10:25
Some northern Germans, especially in Hamburg, do what is called "Stolpern übern spitzen Stein", pronounced without /ʃ/. My grandfather (originally form Soltau) and my uncle used to talk that way. My mother consciously changed to the standard way when she was a teenager in the 1950s. –  starblue Jun 1 '11 at 11:29
@bot47: Like it or not, "Googeln" is the most used term for doing a web search in German. Duden is not authoritative, it's rather descriptive. –  OregonGhost Jun 30 '11 at 9:57
show 14 more comments

Many people tend to pronounce Latin-derived words with sharp s, like Strategie, though it is still correct to pronounce it as sht. However, there are also many dialects, especially in Northern Germany, that always prounounce it as st, not sht.

On the other hand, I could think of a different case: Martinstrasse vs. Martinstraße (Martins-Trasse vs. Martin-Straße). Of course, in the first case, it's no longer Straße ;)

share|improve this answer
As much as the Hamburger pronounce st always sharp many dialects always pronounce the st like sht. –  Takkat May 31 '11 at 10:19
@Takkat: Which makes matters even more complicated for learners ;) –  OregonGhost May 31 '11 at 10:25

@Takkat: And adds a reason to add the Hamburger slang hint to the answer. –  TheBlastOne Jun 8 '11 at 0:47

And southern Germans might even say "beshten". It's part of the "Lautverschiebung", which is strongest in the south. –  Jules Oct 3 '11 at 10:27
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.