Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would appreciate any clarification on the correct usage of sogar and einmal as translations of the English word "even" when used in the following sense:

He didn't drink anything...not even the beer!

I believe this is properly translated as Er hat nichts getrunken...nicht einmal das Bier!

Is that correct? If not, should I use sogar instead? If so, when would one properly use sogar instead of einmal?

share|improve this question

It's correct. I am still too bleary-eyed to say when you could not substitute einmal for sogar. –  Eugene Seidel May 25 '13 at 5:01
Obviously, word order must change. "... sogar das Bier nicht" becomes "... nicht einmal das Bier". Thus einmal is the adverb of choice for English speakers as they can stick to their accustomed word order :) –  Eugene Seidel May 25 '13 at 5:17

Note that you can only use the entire prase "nicht einmal" in this case - "einmal" by itself can never mean "even". –  Mac May 27 '13 at 8:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

"Not even" can be translated with "nicht einmal" or "sogar nicht":

He didn't drink anything … not even the beer.

Er trank gar nichts … nicht einmal das Bier.

Er trank gar nichts … sogar das Bier nicht.

"Even" in positive use cannot be translated with "einmal" but with "sogar":

He drank everything … even the milk.

Er trank alles … sogar die Milch.

NOT: Er trank alles … einmal die Milch.

share|improve this answer

spot on answer :) –  Emanuel May 25 '13 at 19:45

Sorry, I'm a little confused... to me, "sogar nicht" sounds very strange if not outright unidiomatic. I'd have said "even" = "sogar"; "not even" = "nicht einmal". Am I wrong? –  Mac May 27 '13 at 8:13

"sogar nicht" is probably not used as often as "nicht einmal" or "selbst nicht", but it does occur. –  Toscho May 27 '13 at 16:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.