Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading about the use of Konjunktiv I, and read that it is really only used by reporters.

However, this got me thinking, if I were a reporter, and I were talking about something I said, would I still use Konjunktiv I?

For example, if I were to say the following, I know it's true:

Ich sagte, ich sei müde.

Would I say that, or should I have said:

Ich sagte, ich bin müde.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The first variant given by you,

Ich sagte, ich sei müde.

sounds a bit stilted but is technically correct.

In spoken language, more typically you would say

Ich sagte: "Ich bin müde".

or some other variant such as

Ich war müde und sagte das auch.

By the way, back when IBM sold personal computers, can you guess how Germans would resolve the acronym IBM?

share|improve this answer

Thank you! :) And no I don't. How did they? –  Dustin May 30 '13 at 4:39

'I'ch 'B'in 'M'ude??? –  detraveller Jun 1 '13 at 21:59

@detraveller Got it on the first try ;) –  Eugene Seidel Jun 1 '13 at 22:14

Personally, I'd rather say something like "Ich sagte [doch], dass ich müde bin" –  Tobias Kienzler Jul 8 '13 at 13:00

@TobiasKienzler "Ich sagte doch, dass ich müde bin" drückt Gereiztheit aus darüber, dass einem die Wiederholung abverlangt wird. Ohne "doch" ist es die Erzählung eines bereits vergangenen Zustands. Nun würden einige eine unzulässige Vermischung von Imperfekt und Präsens monieren, andere wiederum den Satz als umgangssprachlich akzeptieren. –  Eugene Seidel Jul 8 '13 at 13:20
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.