Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently in Bavaria and I often hear the word jein, which means that answer could be either yes or no, depending what aspects are taken into account:

• Hast du das schon gemacht?
  • Jein. Es funktioniert zwar, aber nicht für alle Fälle.

Is this a Bavarian regionalism, or is it a jargon word known German-wide?

share|improve this question
Just a note on the side: I'd personally write it jain, since it mixes Ja and Nein. –  Lukas Jun 5 '13 at 13:44
@Lukas: von der Aussprache her trifft's aber jein besser. –  Joachim Sauer Jun 5 '13 at 13:53
According to dictionaries, there is no choice - the only correct way of spelling it is "jein". –  Martin Hansen Jun 5 '13 at 15:54

Well, I've just learnt something :) –  Lukas Jun 7 '13 at 12:55

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

You should have a look at the song called 'Jein' by a combo called 'Fettes Brot' (what actually means 'fat bread') from Hamburg. The refrain goes somehow like 'Soll ich's wirklich machen oder lass ich's lieber sein? JEIN!' and the whole song is about wether to take a chance or not. Like that: 'Girlfriend is somewhere else over the weekend. Some other girl you always found sexy asks you to spend the night with her' and then the refrain again: 'Soll ich's wirklich machen oder lass ich's lieber sein? JEIN!'

What I'm driving at is: That song was very big in the charts (Top 10) when it came out in 1996. It went on nearly every pop radio station up and down for a long time all over the country. Nowadays being a DJ and playing that song on a wedding or a birthday party is a sure guarantee to get everybody aged between 8 and 88 on the dancefloor trying to sing along. So I think that word found it's way in nearly everybody's word pool from north to south and east to west and is normally used to get the chance to specify your answer on a yes-or-no question which you don't want or don't can simply answer with 'Ja' or 'Nein'.

That word even has an entry in Wikipedia. And not to forget the Duden entry.

share|improve this answer

Es ist nicht regional begrenzt, sondern wird bundesweit benutzt.

share|improve this answer
Also als Österreicher würd' ich einmal sagen dass "bundesweit" immer noch regional begrenzt ist ;-) Aber im Ernst: auch in Österreich ist dieser Begriff bekannt. –  Joachim Sauer Jun 5 '13 at 13:53
Nun, begrenzt wäre es, wenn ich gesagt hätte ist auf das Bundesgebiet (wessen - der Schweiz?) beschränkt. Da fällt mir ein: Österreich hat doch auch einen BUndeskanzler, ist also auch ein Bundesstaat. Zurück zum Haupteinwand: Dass es bundesweit benutzt wird bedeutet nicht, dass es außerhalb nicht benutzt wird. Wenn ich sage "Deine Mutter hat Flöhe" sage ich damit ja auch nicht, dass Dein Hund keine hat. –  user unknown Jun 7 '13 at 6:45
@userunknown: Wieso argumentierst du wie man es auslegen könnte, sodass es Österreicht miteinschließt, wenn du es offensichtlich nicht so gemeint hattest? –  NikolajK Jun 11 '13 at 22:44

@NickKidman: Die Frage war, ob es ein bajuwarischer Regionalismus sei, oder deutschlandweit benutzt wird. Ich glaube meine Antwort geht auf genau diese Frage ein. Die Frage auf den ganzen deutschsprachigen Raum auszudehnen begrüße ich, kann aber selbst keine Antwort dazu geben. Da mir Joachim mit Fragen der wörtlichen Auslegung kommt reagiere ich entsprechend. –  user unknown Jun 12 '13 at 22:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.