Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Wikipedia states:

German Americans (German: Deutschamerikaner) are citizens of the United States who were either born in Germany or are of German ancestry.

Is there an equivalent German word for German citizens born in the US? Amerikanerdeutsche doesn't sound correct to me.

share|improve this question
I would use the same word (and write it with a hyphen). Note that the context of the Wikipedia article is the US. –  starblue Jun 9 '13 at 8:35
Amerikanerdeutsche is completely uncommon. Wouldn't work at all because as user unknown noted in German Amerika does not denote a single country. –  his Jun 10 '13 at 21:58

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

US-Deutsche würde funktionieren. Amerika ist größer als die USA. :)

share|improve this answer
US-Deutsche klingt meinem Sprachempfinden nach auch besser als Amerika(ner)deutsche. –  sizzle beam Jun 10 '13 at 19:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.