Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are chatty expressions in English, like in the middle of a conversation someone says:

[Getting angry]

Does it work the same in German? as in

[sauer werden]

Or such a thing isn't used in German and sounds strange?

share|improve this question

How does one say spuared brackets? –  user unknown Jun 23 '13 at 10:03

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Do you mean oral conversation only or are you asking mainly about online chatting. Reason I ask is because you put "getting angry" between angle brackets, employed frequently by online chatters.

For both types of conversation, a "meta" comment about one's momentary feelings can be and does often get interspersed with the "regular" back-and-forth about the topic of the conversation.

Examples are:

Comic-book language, e.g,

Grr or Grübel

Appeals to outsiders

Halt mich fest (~ stop me before I kill again)

Statements of personal status

Bin schon wieder auf 180 (~ My blood pressure's hitting the roof)

To get back to your example,

sauer werden

strikes me more as a literal translation of "getting angry" than something that German speakers would actually type, or speak, as a meta comment in the midst of conversation.

sauer werd

on the other hand, could then be viewed as comic-book language (maximal and ungrammatical truncation of "Ich werde sauer") used to communicate one's personal status ("I am getting angry").

This particular example, in my opinion, would be found in online chatting sooner than in oral conversation.

share|improve this answer

Funny, as a German I always thought the "180" in "Bin schon wieder auf 180" refers to 180 km/h. ;) –  Eekhoorn Jun 22 '13 at 9:35

Ein ehrlicher Ausdruck von Wut wäre auch wutschnaufend zu - nun, ja: schnaufen. Wer reflektierte Formen benutzt und eckige Klammern kunstvoll zum Ausdruck bringt, der ist offenbar emotional gar nicht so heftig involviert, wie er vorgibt. –  user unknown Jun 23 '13 at 10:08

There is such a thing, but it may still sound strange. ;-) (Depending on how much one is used to online chatting etc.)

It is called Inflektiv or Erikativ (after Erika Fuchs, translator of comic strips) and formed by dropping the infinitive ending -(e)n. Your example would thus become sauerwerd (also sauer werd, sauer-werd; official spelling rules don't cover it).

German Wikipedia has an article about Inflektiv.

share|improve this answer
Usually one should put the Inflektiv inside *…*. –  Toscho Jun 22 '13 at 8:46
That's the usual way in chats, but not in comic strips. –  chirlu Jun 22 '13 at 8:53

OP asked about chatty expressions. –  Toscho Jun 22 '13 at 12:25

'conversation, says' means spoken language, not written as in comics or SMS. –  user unknown Jun 23 '13 at 10:05

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.