Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you translate "your point being?".

Best thing I can come up with is "Und?". But that only works if the context is there. Is there some more "correct" translation?

share|improve this question
add comment

5 Answers 5

Alternatively one could say

Worum geht es dir?
Um was geht es dir?

share|improve this answer
add comment

Ich würde das so spontan mit

"Was wollen Sie/willst du damit sagen?"

übersetzen. Ich bin mir allerdings auch nicht sicher ob das in allen Zusammenhängen funktioniert.

"Und?" oder "Na und?" passen auch an manchen Stellen..

"Und weiter?" würde auch oft gehen. –  chirlu Jun 24 '13 at 6:35

Inzwischen hat auch "So -- what?" allerorts Eingang gefunden. –  TheBlastOne Jul 18 '13 at 0:34
add comment

Simply "Wie bitte?" or "Bitte?" would work also, as you just want your conversational partner to explain his point more further. The old exalted phrase "wie meinen?" could also fit, but would sound strange nowadays.

"[Wie] bitte?" klingt nach "das habe ich (akustisch) nicht verstanden". Das ist nicht die Bedeutung von "your point being?" –  Robert Feb 26 at 4:19
add comment

Und was möchtest du damit sagen?
Und was möchten Sie damit ausdrücken?

sind sehr viel höflicher als 'Na und?'.

Beide sind jedoch korrekt.

"Das heißt?" ist eine etwas weniger höfliche Form die ich auch oft höre/sage. –  schlingel Jun 24 '13 at 9:11
add comment

In colloquial it's absolutely fine to say "Und?" which may sound rude though. A more friendly way to ask is:

Worauf willst du hinaus?

I think "Und?" has pretty much the same connotations as "Your point being?" (which I wouldn't classify as particularly nice either). –  Joachim Sauer Jun 24 '13 at 14:14
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.