Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Leo shows that both bezahlen and zahlen are translated as "to pay". I noticed that people sometimes use the one, and sometimes the other.

So, when to use bezahlen and when zahlen?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 16 down vote accepted

In many cases, zahlen and bezahlen mean the same and may be used interchangeably:

Sie haben die Miete noch nicht gezahlt/bezahlt.
Das Museum hat zwei Millionen für das Bild gezahlt/bezahlt.

Sometimes, there is a difference in register; otherwise, it is often a matter of personal taste when to use which. However, there are some cases where a more-or-less clear difference exists.

1. You can’t use (at least not in standard language) zahlen with a person as the direct object:

Sie macht lieber alles selbst, statt einen Handwerker zu bezahlen.
    Ich bezahle dich nicht dafür, daß du Löcher in die Luft guckst!

(Exception: If the person is not the recipient of the payment, but the item that is being paid for, i.e. a slave.)

2. Bezahlen may be used to indicate completion:

Ist die Waschmaschine bezahlt? – Nein, er hat erst einmal nur hundert Euro gezahlt/bezahlt und zahlt/bezahlt nächste Woche den Rest.

3. On the other hand, zahlen is more general:

Firma X? Ja, die zahlen gut.

(Although bezahlen isn’t impossible here.) It may also be preferred when talking about who’ll pay in the end:

Dafür zahlt doch wieder die Allgemeinheit.
    Greift zu! Ich zahle. (= My treat.)

share|improve this answer

If I understand correctly, I can always use bezahlen, and it won't be a mistake? –  BЈовић Jun 28 '13 at 6:29

I guess so, yes. There are some fixed phrases, however: Da zahlt man sich dumm und dusselig. But you’ll have to learn those anyway (if you want to use them). –  chirlu Jun 28 '13 at 7:26

As far as I know, the prefix be- is used on verbs that are born as intransitive to make them transitive. So, in the case of zahlen, you would say:

Ich zahle mit meiner Kreditkarte;

and

Ich bezahle den Verkäufer.

So bezahlen has to be used when you need an object.

EDIT: This rule does not apply to zahlen. See comments below.

It doesn’t apply here, though. Zahlen and bezahlen both can be transitive and intransitive verbs. –  chirlu Jun 27 '13 at 20:44

So, according to your answer, my second sentence could not use zahlen in place of bezahlen. While for the first I guess both of them would be correct? –  martina Jun 27 '13 at 20:47
Yes, that’s right. Bezahlen can still be transitive when the object is not a person, as in die Rechnung bezahlen. –  chirlu Jun 27 '13 at 20:49

I also think you hit the nail on the head when you say you can always use bezahlen but you can't zahlen if the object is a person. –  falkb Jun 28 '13 at 7:04

That is a tough one, I find me using it interchangeably. However there seems to be a somewhat directed preference:

I would state it as bezahlen expresses the intent and the process of paying. Whilst zahlen only states the intent.

"Wie möchten Sie zahlen?" / "How would you like to pay?"

"Ich bezahle bar." / "I'll pay cash."

The first sentence inquires the intent. The second sentence signals the intent and the payment immediately after.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.