Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English I say "f@#$ me" a lot to show annoyance with myself. So, I'm not trying to say "f@#$-me" in the sexual way such as "f@#k-me" boots etc. Is there a way to say this in the German used in Berlin?

Edit: I say "f@#k me" in English to myself when I realize I have been screwed by someone or something and I have helped the someone or something screw myself. This is the context I'm looking for so I'm not looking a phrase to call myself directly "a fool" or something.

Edit: Do the Viennese have an appropriate equivalent if the Berliners do not?

share|improve this question
In parts of Germany, a similarly vulgar expression addressed to no one in particular and used to give vent to momentary frustration is Leck mich doch, but I am not sure how common that is in Berlin. (The two words following this phrase are implied but not spoken. It's a famous (or infamous) line spoken by Ritter Götz von Berlichingen in Goethe's eponymous play and is sometimes represented by its acronym LMAA.) –  Eugene Seidel Jul 5 '13 at 9:01
@EugeneSeidel I totally agree, just one minor tidbit: In Goethe's Götz it wasn't LMAA, but rather LMIA ("er kann mich im Arsche lecken") Why don't you put your comment in an answer, so that it can be accepted. –  bouscher Jul 5 '13 at 9:07
@EugeneSeidel Entweder falsche Bescheidenheit oder Sie gehen umsichtig mit Ihrem Renommee um ;-) –  bouscher Jul 5 '13 at 9:15
Please don't put a space between the @ and the name if you want notification to work. See this mini monograph on DNN Online, it explains what "AA" in the acronym LMAA stands for and gives some historical background. In any case we've already heard from a Berliner that they don't typically say it there in such a context, so as far as I'm concerned Leck mich doch is not the right answer to your question. –  Eugene Seidel Jul 6 '13 at 13:02
@Dustin In the English language, coarse talk (or vulgar language, the two are not exactly the same) is mostly grounded in sexual function. But in German, it is mostly centered around bowel movements. So your proposal would not fit, I'm afraid. –  Eugene Seidel Jul 6 '13 at 13:12
show 7 more comments

3 Answers

I'm from Berlin, I'm annoyed with myself a lot, and to show that I use:

Ick Idiot!

or

Mann, ick Idiot!

or to really elaborate on the issue:

Mann, ick bin doch ein seltendaemlicher Idiot.

"Leck mich am Arsch" in that sense is almost never used here.

share|improve this answer

also have a look at dict.leo.org/forum/… for a supra-regional solution. –  falkb Jul 5 '13 at 9:44
"I'm an idiot" doesn't quiote capture the essence of "Fuck me". It's more of a passive-aggressive exclamation like "so it's my fault or what?" –  Hackworth Jul 5 '13 at 23:11

@hroptatyr: Hmm...calling myself an idiot is what I'm was looking for but more like I got screwed by something and I helped get myself screwed. –  verve Jul 6 '13 at 9:53
add comment

My apologies for resurrecting a zombie question, but I don't know that it's even possible to generically translate this phrase. "f@#k" is an extremely versatile word (one episode of The Wire's first season sports an extended dialog using nothing but), and "f@#k me" can have wildly different meanings depending on exactly how and when you say it. Applicable German equivalents are e.g. Verdammt nochmal, Ich Idiot, or Da stecke ich ja schön in der Sch**e, or Du kommst mir gerade richtig, and so on and on.

add comment

Nowadays you'd use a direct translation of the English phrase in Germany: "Ich bin / wurde gefickt" or when emphasizing that you "opened your backdoor": "Ich hab mich ficken lassen".

It will be considered vulgar in some circles, but it is broadly accepted as an expression of great negativeness amongst younger people.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.