Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend wrote this sentence:

und sie sagt...

Isn't "sie" always supposed to be capitalized?

share|improve this question
Imagine, sie is always written lower case. Who do you think was addressed in a talk, written in a book, with Könnten sie das tun?. - the conversational partner or the group of people in the background? You see Sie and sie also help to understand the context of a situation. –  falkb Jul 9 '13 at 12:53
add comment

2 Answers

"sie" can either be a formal adress, this is when it is capitalized or it can be a pronoun, in which case it is not capitalized like all other pronouns.

This is direct speech, in which "Sie" serves to address a person / a group of persons which can be male or female in a formal way:

"Kann ich Sie auf einen Drink einladen?"

This is not directed to the person(s) I want to invite to a drink, but to a third person, which might be asked for permission. The "sie" relates to a female person or a group of persons, which are not addressed directly by the question, as I said.

"Kann ich sie auf einen Drink einladen?"

In your example the "sie" is used in the second sense, as a pronoun and thus is correctly written small

share|improve this answer

` "Sie" serves to adress a person` or several persons (as in more than one) –  embert Feb 26 at 3:32

@embert Just go ahead and edit my answer, if you think it may or should be improved. –  bouscher Feb 26 at 9:05
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.