Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

All three accusative prepositions für, gegen, and um can mean "for" in certain situations. Can anybody give examples when to use which of the three?

share|improve this question

closed as too broad by Em1, chirlu, Emanuel, user unknown, c.p. Jul 18 '13 at 18:48

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The question is too broad, and the answer would be monstruous. There are prepositions paired with adjectives (geeignet für, schädlich für, immun gegen, etc.), prepositions paired with verbs (sich kümmern um, danken für, sich entscheiden gegen) substantives paired with prepositions (Entscheidung für, Kampf gegen, Krieg um) usw. Other than learning wich preposition corresponds to which verb, I don't find a better mehtod. –  c.p. Jul 18 '13 at 18:57

3 Answers 3

Superman was asked for an autograph for Mary. He said: "I only do this for money."

Superman wurde um ein Autogramm für Mary gebeten. Er sagte: „Ich mach das nur gegen Geld.“

The for in the second sentence can also be translated by für:

[…] Er sagte: „Ich mach das nur für Geld.“

share|improve this answer

There is no rule when to use which one, especially in case of um. You must simply learn which verb demands one of these three words. Some verbs and phrases use um and there is no reason why:

Um Gottes willen!
um einen Gefallen bitten

In my feel for language I tend to think um in the meaning of this topic here is a relict of former times and only used rarely in certain fixed phrases, but I may be wrong.

Both ones, für and gegen are used for all other stuff where um is not used. I cannot find an example where um can be replaced by one of them.

Gegen is used when there is an exchange of things, commonly something for the price of another, and it shows the two directions of exchanging, for example Ware gegen Geld.

Für in the meaning of "for" is commonly used to tell the addressed receiver ("Für wen?") of the result, for example für alle, or the cost itself ("Für was?"). But usually you can use für also as replacement of gegen, it more underlines the price in contrast to gegen which underlines the exchange, but not inevitably. For example Ich mach das nur für Geld accents a bit more what the price is ("Geld"), and Ich mach das nur gegen Geld accents a bit more that there is actually a price and that it's not for free.

Quelle: woerterbuchnetz.de/DWB?bookref=23,761,1 : um hat ursprünglich eine räumliche Bedeutung. Die Verwendung in anderen Bedeutungen ist aber so alt, dass ihr Ursprung zur Zeit unklar ist. Diese Verwendung blieb aber nicht mehr generell erhalten, sondern nur noch in Form einzelner Verbgruppen oder Phrasen. –  Toscho Jul 12 '13 at 10:11
You should change the last paragraph a bit. At the moment, it sounds as if one could exchange für by gegen in nearly all circumstances. But this is only the case, if für has the meaning of the cost itself. –  Toscho Jul 12 '13 at 10:13

@Toscho: Gib mir mal bitte ein Bsp. –  falkb Jul 12 '13 at 10:22

um etwas bitten hat keine räumliche Bedeutung. Ähnliche Bedeutung findet man noch in um etwas flehen, sich um etwas bringen und eine dritte Bedeutungsgruppe findet man in sich um etwas handeln, um etwas gehen, sich um etwas sorgen, wobei ich mir gut vorstellen kann, wie diese Bedeutungsgruppe z.B. in einem Thing aus der räumlichen Bedeutung entstanden ist. –  Toscho Jul 12 '13 at 11:54

@Toscho: das denke ich auch. Ich glaube sogar, dass auch sich um etwas bringen und um etwas bitten räumlich interpretierbar sind. Wenn ich mich lokal "um" etwas bringe, also drumherum bewege, dann bin ich nicht da. Ich bin daran vorbei gegangen und habe es nicht. Um etwas bitten könnte man auf einen Gebetskreis oder auf Tänze um das Feuer zurückführen... allerdings alles nur Spekulationen.:) –  Emanuel Jul 12 '13 at 12:06

I can’t think of any example where you’d translate “for” with “um”, but to give first examples:

1. I will do this for you. translates to Ich werde das für dich tun.
  2. I will do this for money. translates to Ich werde das gegen Geld tun.

I will add further explanations later.

Pons: He did it for the fame -> Er tat es, um berühmt zu werden. –  Em1 Jul 11 '13 at 16:49
@Em1: That’s not a preposition, though. –  chirlu Jul 11 '13 at 16:56
Er tat es um des Rumes Willen. –  Emanuel Jul 11 '13 at 18:47

@emanuel Sehr gut! Aber „… Willen“. –  k.stm Jul 11 '13 at 23:49

@K.Stm.: Ich verstehe nicht ganz... wo ist der Fehler :) –  Emanuel Jul 12 '13 at 12:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.