Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Opposition wirft Friedrich "Luftnummer" vor.

wirft ... vor is, I think, the verb vorwerfen, which means to accuse.

But I don't know what Luftnummer means. Is it a noun in this context? I'm asking this because on www.leo.de this word is only registered as a verb; this one: to turn out to be a flop.

share|improve this question
a minor thing but vorwerfen would be "to accuse of"... vorwerfen is super-transitive with the deed being the direct object while accuse has the accused as direct object. That is quite a difference. –  Emanuel Jul 13 '13 at 23:07

I see. Good to know. Danke! –  indoxica Jul 14 '13 at 12:15
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

A Luftnummer may be a flop, but most likely it is something that turns out to be nothing but hot air. Some typical examples:

• A new law that is supposed to prevent something bad, but entirely fails to do so, because it can easily be circumvented.
  • A promise that has never been intedended to be kept in the first place.
  • A venture that does nothing but draining money from its investors.
  • Something that is claimed to be a success but actually was a total failure.

Note that in the example you quoted, the quotation marks are actually wrong, since they imply that the opposition already used the term Luftnummer with quotes (vorwerfen already establishes that Luftnummer does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author, so there are no quotes needed for this purpose).

Also note that Leo does not give to turn out to be a flop as a translation for Luftnummer but for sich als Luftnummer erweisen, which is a verb.

share|improve this answer

I strongly disagree with your aside about the quotation marks; I even downvoted the whole answer for it. They are not at all wrong, and their presence or absence changes the information in the text. If the quotation marks are there, the author asserts that the opposition used the exact term Luftnummer. If they aren’t, it could be the author’s paraphrase of the opposition’s viewpoint; their representative might have said Friedrich macht doch nur viel Wirbel um nichts or similar. –  chirlu Jul 14 '13 at 6:44

Vorwerfen already states that this is reported speech and paraphrasing in such a situation would be bad journalism and could (in a slightly different situation) lead to accusations of slander. If, e.g., Luftnummer were replaced with Versagen or Betrug, would you still use quotes? And if yes, what would be your opinion on a journalist who paraphrases to Betrug in a corresponding situation (not using quotes)? By the way, there is an intensive discussion of this on Belles Lettres. –  Wrzlprmft Jul 14 '13 at 8:46

OK. So how could this thing actually be translated into English? I'm still confused... –  indoxica Jul 14 '13 at 12:17

@indoxica: Opposition accuses Mr Friedrich of doing busy work, … of producing only hot air? –  chirlu Jul 14 '13 at 22:12

@Wrzlprmft: Vorwerfen gehört nicht zu den Meta-Wörtern wie sprechen von, bezeichnen als, nennen, sogenannt. Daß Zitate „nicht als Frag­mente in den eigenen Fließ­text mon­tiert“ werden sollten (hier bewußt mißachtet :)), mag ein guter Ratschlag sein, aber von weniger elegant zu falsch ist es noch ein arger Sprung. –  chirlu Jul 14 '13 at 22:22
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.