Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

All I know about Was für ein is that it is a type of pronoun (but I don't know what type exactly it is). I also don't know how it translates into English.

share|improve this question
If you want to get into detail about this: I have discussed it on my blog in depth... here's the link yourdailygerman.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/meaning-was-fuer –  Emanuel Jul 13 '13 at 22:34

Thank you very much. –  indoxica Jul 14 '13 at 12:14
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Was für ein...

is a phrasal expression which can be used in a question to ask "what kind of". For instance:

"Ich möchte Tee bestellen"

"Was für einen Tee möchten Sie?"

This translates into:

"I would like some tea, please"

"What kind of tea would you like?

You can also add a verb inside it (so that it is split up), like in:

"Was willst du für einen Tee?" --> "What kind of tea do you want?"

Please note that you need to change "ein" into "einen" because the subject is "du" and you are asking information about an object (accusative).

Another usage is in affirmative sentences where is basically means "what a...".

For example:

Was für ein Tag! ---> What a day!

In this case the speaker expresses the simple fact that he/she has had a peculiar day (in a bad or in a good sense).

A vocabulary reference is here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/was_f%C3%BCr

share|improve this answer
I think you should revers the order of your answer and talk about the "what kind of"-version first because it is by far the most important one... also, you could thinking about adding a part about the possible split... "Was willst du für einen Tee?" This is rather common as well and it might throw people off. Other than that, fine answer –  Emanuel Jul 13 '13 at 22:33

@Emanuel: Thanks, I edited the answer according to your suggestions. –  martina Jul 14 '13 at 12:30

The change from "ein" to "einen" doesn't have anything to do with the sentence's subject. It's all about the accusative object. –  elena Jul 15 '13 at 12:19

What I wrote just means that the subject is "du" and the question refers to the object. You can edit it if it is not clear. –  martina Jul 15 '13 at 13:05
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.