Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is 14th of February vierzehnte zweite or vierzehnten zweiten?

With the usage of the name of the month, is it vierzehnten Februar or vierzehnte Februar?

Why is there an -n sometimes and sometimes it isn't?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

It can be nominative:

Heute ist der vierzehnte Februar.

Or dative:

Am vierzehnten Februar war ich in Urlaub (already mentioned by Benedikt Brünner)

Or accusative:

[Captain's logbook]: 32° 12' W 14° 34' S, wir schreiben den vierzehnten Februar.

Or genitive:

Am Morgen des vierzehnten Februars sammelten wir uns zur Abreise.

So you see, all four cases can and do occur. And there are more prepositions besides am that can go with a date. Note the terminal -s in Februars for the genitive*, note the terminal -n in the adjective vierzehnten for dative, accusative and genitive.

Finally, another nominative form without an article is

Vierzehnter Februar.

*However: Not marking the genitive case of the month with a terminal 's' is becoming increasingly popular; at present, it is a matter of subjective choice.

share|improve this answer
add comment

The words are adjectives (literally, fourteenth second) in masculine gender, because Tag and Monat are masculine, and follow the usual rules for adjective declension. Therefore, it is:

vierzehnter zweiter
der vierzehnte zweite
am vierzehnten zweiten
der Abend des vierzehnten zweiten
etc.

In many cases, it is more common to use the name of the month instead:

am vierzehnten Februar

Still, the same declension rules apply to the day.

add comment

I would prefer:

Am vierzehnten Februar

(I'm from Austria)

@downvoters: please note that this was the first answer posted here, and it is a valid answer (even though admittedly we do have better ones in the meantime). Related: meta.german.stackexchange.com/questions/422/… –  Takkat Jul 15 '13 at 19:07

@Takkat: In my opinion, it doesn’t answer the (main point of the) question, which was why there are different forms (with and without -n) in the wild. It might even mislead a reader into believing that vierzehnten is always right. –  chirlu Jul 15 '13 at 20:00
yeah, sure it's not a good answer, because its incomplete but its not wrong either. 3(!) downvotes without further explanation is bad style. This should not happen to a new user who only came here today to contribute. We should put more effort in helping people how to give good answers - my 2 ct. –  Takkat Jul 15 '13 at 20:09

Well, it has also received two upvotes … Still a net reputation gain of at least 14. –  chirlu Jul 15 '13 at 20:15
Sometimes questions can be answered with 1 short sentence like this one, and it was the first reply the question received, means the topic has finished. And I don't understand why an avalanche of overkill must follow, crowned by downvoting the first answer. –  falkb Jul 16 '13 at 6:52
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.