Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Actually I don't know where did I learn the word Tschüßie, but I suspect that is a word that is not so frequently used by men[*]. Is it true?

*And I don't know if there is a term for that phenomenon. And it's only a guess that there exist words used predominantly by women or men: bad words for example.

share|improve this question
That is purely a matter of personal perception. First one I ever heard say Tschüssi is a 6 ft. 2 broadshouldered womanizing team handball player, so... –  Eugene Seidel Jul 17 '13 at 7:15

I love our bavarian "Servus". It works for everyone, on hello and goodbye, for men and women, and just about every possible occassion. –  SinisterMJ Jul 17 '13 at 9:48

@AntonRoth ...and is latin for slave –  Tobias Kienzler Jul 17 '13 at 10:12

I always thought of it as a very familiar expression exchanged by friends, both men and women. –  Kristina Lopez Jul 17 '13 at 14:54
@KristinaLopez So did I, but I then had a, say, unangenehme Überraschung :s –  c.p. Jul 17 '13 at 14:57

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Yes.

"Tschüssie" is definitely gendered, as far as I can tell - I've never heard a (straight) man use it without a heavy dose of irony.

It's different, however, with the more convoluted (and by now a bit old-fashioned) "Tschüssikowski" [not sure about the spelling] - this tends to be used more frequently by men, in my observation at least.

You might also be interested in this article on wikipedia: language and gender

share|improve this answer

Ach so! "Tschüssikowski" habe ich gehört, aber ich wurde abgeraten von seiner Nutzung, weil es Wortschatz für die Straße sei. Stimmt das? (na ja, Tschüßie klingt auch nicht so Hochdeutsch) –  c.p. Jul 17 '13 at 10:47
Ob es für die Straße ist, darüber kann man streiten - keine der beiden Versionen ist jedefalls Standard :) Vermutlich wird es Dir mit einem einfachen "Tschüss" besser gehen. –  Mac Jul 17 '13 at 11:03

Tschüssikowski is totally out, the hype was for a while but 20 years ago. I would remove it from the answer. –  falkb Jul 17 '13 at 11:29

@falkb: Lol, I'm totally dating myself, or rather the people I interact with, I guess - but I still hear it occasionally... –  Mac Jul 17 '13 at 11:33
"Tschüssi", in my perception, is also sometimes used by males in an obviously exaggerated gay context, like in comedy tv. So it, in some ears, has some flavour in this direction... –  sinned Jul 17 '13 at 11:40

Yes, there are words or phrases preferred by men or women. And they are used with different gradations, and in certain situations.

Tschüssi is much more preferred by women but also common for men and noone would stumble about that when a man uses it. You use it to say Bye to good friends.

Typical woman stuff is also: der/die/das ist süß / niedlich (engl. cute) while a man would use schön (engl. beaut), or written LG (as Liebe Grüße) while a man rather uses cooler stuff.

You can say that phenomenon is Verniedlichung vs. Lässigkeit.

share|improve this answer

+1 for finally mentioning the Deminutiv aspect. –  TheBlastOne Jul 18 '13 at 0:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.