Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sometimes I ask myself how clear a Non-German can understand spoken German when it comes to reductions like

• hammer / simmer / gehmer - haben wir / sind wir / gehen wir
  • haste / biste / weißte - hast du / bist du / weißt du
  • eimannfrei - einwandfrei
  • ... and many more

Often it's overlaid with the regional dialect. Then hammer can turn to hammor or biste can turn to bischt.

I understand it as appropriations to engl. gonna or wanna.

How far should the German speak accurately and what does the Non-German know from school?

share|improve this question
I guess spoken innovations can hardly be taught, since they continue to be created. As a learner, I can tell you that I would have never understood (with a beginner knowledge) the reductions you mention. The same goes for every language, I think those things can come after a good knowledge has been built. Maybe you could divide colloquial speech into categories (kid of innovation with respect to the standard language), in order to understand how much and what can be easily got from non-natives. –  martina Jul 17 '13 at 15:32
As my foreign-born husband and I have discussed in the past, learning the formal version of a language will never hurt and can only help you sound educated, but it's also good to at least understand the colloquialisms and reductions. It might even help one transition into the culture by using them. –  Kristina Lopez Jul 17 '13 at 16:15

I don't know where you live, but just go to another part of Germany where a significant different "German" is spoken and try to understand them and you will get an idea of that. –  Em1 Jul 17 '13 at 19:34
I love to listen to non-native speakers once they are fluent because they usually are crisp-clear and a pleasure to hear because they avoid (or incompetent in using) those colloquialisms and reductions. For me, it is NOT a "good transition" indicator, but more of an artificial (and negative) "look, I can do! Transition completed, yeayh!" posing situation if a non-native speaker talks like this. –  TheBlastOne Jul 18 '13 at 0:30
add comment

1 Answer

At least the reduction of "du" to "-te", and "Sie" to "-se" is so widespread in spoken German that every student of the German language likely will hear them as soon as she/he speaks to a native German, or travels to Germany.

They even found their way into the dictionaries (Duden: haste) or became part of a proverb:

"Haste was dann biste was"

Other such reductions may be harder to hear (and thus to learn) as they are heavily influenced by regional dialects. To illustrate this further here is the Swabian variants of "haste" (hast du) and "hamse" (haben Sie):

hasch / hosch / häsch - habetse / hendse / hender (yes this is regionally different even within Swabia)

Such reductions within a dialect will probably be understood by a student of German no less than by a native German who grew up with another dialect. Even Germans will not understand the dialect of another region without practice.

This also is why Germans usually do not actively use reductions from another dialect in speech (e.g. "hammer" will be "ham wa" in Berlin). Therefore I believe it is perfectly fine for a student of the German language (and will mostly go unnoticed) if you did not learn how to use them. It definitely is better to speak accurately.

The same holds true for native Germans talking to learners. You should avoid contractions if you want to be understood but a more advanced learner will likely know about common contractions. After listening to conversations, or when learning by watching movies they will have heard them.

share|improve this answer

There are even people saying "Hassewas, bissewas" without intent. I consider this an indicator of limited education if there is no contextual reason for trashing the language like that. –  TheBlastOne Jul 18 '13 at 0:32

So you're saying it's no problem, as a German, to speak to Non-Germans without avoiding reductions; they are used to it, right? Could you clarify? –  falkb Jul 18 '13 at 7:17

@falkb: oh - I see. Your question was a bit unclear in that (I thought you were asking if a learner should learn or use them) - see edit. –  Takkat Jul 18 '13 at 7:34

No, "...should I speak accurately..." is related to the German speaker. Now I've precised my question. –  falkb Jul 18 '13 at 8:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.