Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I want to say, I am told, do I say, Mir werde gesagt?

And if I want to say, I was told, do I say, Mir wurde gesagt?

Similarly, if I want to say, I have been told, do I say, Mir bin gesagt worden?

And if I want to say, I had been told, do I say, Mir war gesagt worden?

Finally, if I want to say, I will be told, do I say, Mir werde gesagt worden?

And if I want to say, I will have been told, do I say, Mir werde gesagt worden sein?

share|improve this question

Your werde-forms are Konjunktiv I (indirect speech). –  Dario Jul 19 '13 at 10:33

@Dario Can you please elaborate? –  indoxica Jul 19 '13 at 10:35

canoo.net/inflection/werden:V:sein –  elena Jul 19 '13 at 12:00
They're not; they are first person rather than third (which happen to be the same forms as Konjunktiv I 3rd person). Your mistake, @indoxica, is that you didn't notice that the direct object of "sagen" in German is NOT the person being told something, but the thing that is being said. The person (here: I, or mir) is the indirect object and hence dative. To come to the point: the syntactical subject in your passive voice sentence is the-thing-that's-being-said, so the finite verb "werden" needs to take third-person form. "Mir" is just a dative object. –  elena Jul 19 '13 at 12:08
add comment

2 Answers

For completeness: You really just need to conjugate werden accordingly

Mir wird gesagt

Mir wurde gesagt

Mir ist gesagt worden

Mir war gesagt worden

Mir wird gesagt werden

Mir wird gesagt worden sein

Anyway, as pointed out you may want to replace passive voice with the less formal sounding impersonal man.

Man sagt mir

Man sagte mir

Man wird mir gesagt haben

Now you conjugate sagen (note we need haben for perfect)

share|improve this answer

This is absolutely clear and perfectly comprehensible. Danke. –  indoxica Jul 19 '13 at 10:34
even though i would translate i am told as man hört, as it is idiomatic (correct me if i am wrong) –  Vogel612 Jul 19 '13 at 12:07

could you give a complete sentence as an example? –  Dario Jul 19 '13 at 13:32

"Mir würde gesagt worden sein" fehlt noch :-P –  Tobias Kienzler Jul 19 '13 at 13:42
add comment

Some of them you got right, I would put them as follows:

Mir hat man gesagt
Mir wurde gesagt
Mir ist gesagt worden
Mir hatte man gesagt (Mir war gesagt worden)
Mir wird man sagen
Mir wird gesagt worden sein
share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.