Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my dictionary, drin is an idiomatic component of both drin sein (to be into it), and das ist doch nicht drin (that's not on).

But I'm not sure which of these meanings go into this newspapers title:

Es ist noch mehr drin.

Any suggestions?

share|improve this question

It basically means: "There is room for improvement." "drin" here just means something like "inside" and the sentence would literally be "There is something left inside". And that is exactly what it means: "There is some potential inside left unused, which should be put to use." It often goes with: "Da können wir noch mehr rausholen." –  bouscher Jul 22 '13 at 10:02

A better result is possible, or it's not yet all that can be gotten out of the situation, or you can afford more in the situation. Or Simply: More is possible. –  Em1 Jul 22 '13 at 10:03

@bouscher: there is nothing wrong with having more than one answer to a question. In fact we should watch our answers/question ratio which dropped close to the limit of 2.5 for "Excellent" in Beta. –  Takkat Jul 22 '13 at 10:21

@Takkat Well, I'm not addressing the question, which was about two versions of idiomatic meaning. I'm just clearing up the meaning. –  bouscher Jul 22 '13 at 10:29
add comment

2 Answers

I would translate this idiomatically as

It's not the end of it.

Translating it more or less literally, it means "It's not empty yet" (to be precise: "It contains more.")

share|improve this answer

Hast du dich verirrt? Langeweile? :D Anyway, welcome back. –  Em1 Jul 22 '13 at 10:06
add comment

Drin (or darin) literally means "inside that" but is also often the translation for just inside. So

drin sein

means

to be inside

and this is used in all kinds of expressions both abstract or literal, two of which you mentioned. The headline just uses the same abstract idea like the second of your examples... think of it this way: you have a bag out of which you take "life". If something is not inside, that means you can't do it. If there is more drin that means you can do more.

share|improve this answer

Should we say somewhere that "drin sein" is colloquial? –  Takkat Jul 22 '13 at 11:12

I wouldn't say it is... in a novel this could be written: "Draussen trieb eisiger Wind dicke Schneeflocken über das Feld, drin aber war es warm."... "darin" wouldn't work here, neither would "innen". So I think at least in some cases "drin" is the best option hence not always colloquial –  Emanuel Jul 22 '13 at 11:46

I would expect drinnen in the novel, not drin. –  chirlu Jul 22 '13 at 17:21

"drin" is colloquial, I'ld say. I would not expect to read it in formal texts (e.g. in a book outside of written dialogue, or in a serious newspaper). –  adhominem Jul 24 '13 at 11:20

@adhominen: faz.net/suche/… although many of the examples are "mehr drin sein" there are still others in the FAZ. IMHO the term colloquial is used too much.It should be reserved to things that are really only spoken and put in "..." if in writing... that's just me though –  Emanuel Jul 24 '13 at 11:41
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.