Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I asked a German friend of mine if "da ist" and "da sind" are valid constructions for saying "there is/are," and she confirmed my suspicion, though she was unable to explain the difference between those constructions and "es gibt" construction.

My assumption is that "da ist/sind" represents something actually being in a certain place, where as "es gibt" represents something just being....there.

Is this correct? If not, what, if there is one, is the difference?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

It depends on whether you refer to the abstract concept of possible existence, or the actual presence of something.

Abstract: English: "There are many way to express your feelings." German: "Es gibt viele Wege, Deine Gefühle auszudrücken."

Actual: English: "There is money on the table over there." German: "Da liegt Geld auf dem Tisch". You would not say "Dort gibt es Geld auf dem Tisch.". (Well, you could, but you would be saying something slightly different: That there is money on the table waiting to be picked up for free, English: "Free money on the table, yeayh!".)

So in English, the pure existence of something is described by "There is...", while in German, the term would be "Es gibt...". It is a seemingly subtle, but important difference that can lead to funny misconceptions.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.