Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I said to my friend: "Ich esse morgens Haferbrei". He asked, whether I mean Haferschleim.

Is there any difference? Do these words have the same meaning or not?

What about other dishes, like Buchweizenbrei, Reisbrei or Grießbrei. Can they also be -schleim?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Basically all cereal dishes come in four major variants:

Grütze - Brei - Schleim - Suppe

The difference is the consistency, and size of the grain. "Grütze" is made of larger grains and has a lower content of water/milk, softness and liquid content increases over "Brei" to "Schleim" and "Suppe".

By adding the cereal name as a compound noun to the preparation we then will have such dishes like "Haferbrei", "Reisschleim", "Maissuppe".

share|improve this answer

nice :) short but very interesting –  Emanuel Jul 24 '13 at 15:02

+1 Muahaha, das wusste ich echt nicht. Die vier Aggregatzustände von Zeugs: Grütze-Brei-Schleim-Suppe. Das ist genial. –  bouscher Jul 24 '13 at 15:15

Thank you. It is clear now. But I also found in the dictonary Grützbrei. That is something that I don't understand. –  640miles Jul 24 '13 at 17:24

@640miles: never heard of "Grützbrei" myself but I would say it is somewhere in between Grütze and Brei. –  Takkat Jul 24 '13 at 18:25

Schleim (engl. slime) is disgusting as food, Brei is a common kind of food. –  falkb Jul 24 '13 at 20:27

Haferschleim or Hafersuppe is the more diluted version of Haferbrei

The other mentioned descriptions can be found e.g. here

Fasten

1. Schleimfasten: Hier gibt es ausschließlich leichten Reis-, Hafer-, Gerste- oder Buchweizenschleim. Der weiche Brei aus Wasser und Getreide schont die Schleimhäute im Verdauungstrakt und sorgt dafür, dass sie wieder gesund funktionieren. Die Kur eignet sich deshalb vor allem für alle, die Magen- und Darmbeschwerden haben. Ausgiebig Wassertrinken gehört selbstverständlich auch zu dieser Fastenkur.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.