Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Suppose I want to write a sentence with the verb zumachen. It is composite, so in past participles and in constructs as zu + infinitive the added particles go between the prefix and the main verb.

How should I then say:

I want to close the window ?

Is it:

Ich will, das Fenster zuzumachen?

share|improve this question
As far as I know, the zu in zu + infinitive constructs is never graphically linked to the verb to which it adheres. Or maybe I'm dead wrong about it. –  indoxica Jul 26 '13 at 13:59

@indoxica: Indeed, you are wrong. Verbs with separable prefixes have the zu after the prefix, but the form is written without spaces. Thus zuzumachen is correct. –  chirlu Jul 26 '13 at 14:11
@chirlu Good to know. As I'm but a poor apprentice in the German language, it's always good to know everything pertaining to it. –  indoxica Jul 26 '13 at 14:22

Why question downvoted? –  Martin Hansen Jul 26 '13 at 19:28

I suppose it's because it's poor: I should have looked up on the Internet for the existence of "zuzumachen". Moreover, my English sentence and my German translation do not match: the second one is wrong because no additional zu was required. –  martina Jul 27 '13 at 20:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You just use it in the original form:

Ich will das Fenster zumachen (I want to close the window)

An example for 'zuzumachen':

Ich vergaß das Fenster zuzumachen (I forgot to close the window)

But honestly, I can't tell you the grammatical rule when to use which. Maybe someone else can help. Wiktionary calls the second form "erweiterter Infinitiv Aktiv" (extended infinitive active):

http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/zuzumachen

share|improve this answer

Just a hint, if you're unsure about a sentence, just type it into google, and if you get very few or no results, it's most likely incorrect. –  Martin Hansen Jul 26 '13 at 12:45
The rule is essentially that only modal verbs can take an infinitive without zu. –  chirlu Jul 26 '13 at 12:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.