Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Among the adjectives derived from nouns there some which do not bear Umlaut:

die Kugel - kugelig, der Monat - monatlich, usw.

But sometimes they do bear Umlaut:

das Jahr - jährlich, die Woche - wöchentlich, die Minute - minütlich, usw.

Some time ago I expected that monthly could be mönatlich but I was wrong. Is there a rule that helps by knowing when does the adjective bear Umlaut?

share|improve this question

There may be explanations for each and every case, I think the origin of the words plays a role, the first vowel shift and language change, e.g. which variant (lower vs high German) eventually found its way into our high German standard. But to a learner EM1's answer will most likely be the ultimate one. –  bouscher Jul 26 '13 at 20:55

@bouscher -wöchig is also valid. duden.de/rechtschreibung/_woechig –  Em1 Jul 26 '13 at 20:55

@Em1 Ja schon, aber nur als Suffix, alle anderen Beispiele sind Vollworte. Der Viertelgeviertstrich dient ja hier nur als Worttrenner und nicht als Bindestrich. –  bouscher Jul 26 '13 at 20:57

@Em1 genau, ich habe eigentlich das Adjektiv als Suffix gedacht: 2-wöchiger Kurs, usw. Aber es ist besser mit wöchentlich. –  c.p. Jul 26 '13 at 21:01
Die Suffixe haben unterschiedliche Bedeutung: Ein zweiwöchiger Kurs dauert zwei Wochen, ein zweiwöchentlicher Kurs findet nur jede zweite Woche statt. –  chirlu Jul 26 '13 at 23:21

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think a look at canoo.net will help you. You not only find a lot of examples and 'rules' for noun to adjective but also for all other possibilities.

In German: Nomen zu Adjektiv: Suffigierung
In English: Noun to adjective: Suffixation

Well, only issue is that you'll learn that the suffix -ig can lead to an umlaut but not necessarily.
Furthermore, you'll see that there are thousands of combinations. Have fun with burning them into your mind.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.