Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to translate the Term Stack Overflow.

Google gives me the following translation proposals for the term stack:

Stapel - stack, pile, batch, staple, stocks
Paket - package, packet, parcel, bundle
Schornstein - chimney, stack, funnel, smokestack
Haufen - heap, pile, bunch, cluster, lot, crowd
Pack - pack, stack, bundle, rabble, bale, riffraff
Magazin - magazine, journal, mag, repository, storeroom, stockroom
Stoß - shock, impact, kick, push, joint, stack
Packen - pack, packing, package, bundle, stack, heap
Felssäure - stack

The context: I am looking for a appropriate translation for Stack Overflow.
What is meant???

An overflowing Stapel or Haufen,
an overflowing Schornstein or
an overflowing Magazin? (this is what I guess)

share|improve this question
It's a technical term derived from software development and the German technical term is "Stapelüberlauf". That's where the site has it's name from, it's a dev site. –  bouscher Jul 26 '13 at 20:13

A developer site... O.K. Thanx a lot!!! :-D –  Don Dio Jul 26 '13 at 20:16

stackoverlow.com, yes, it's obviously a developer Q&A site, it's the one I use most. It is the original site from which stackexchange and the other sites like this one here started –  bouscher Jul 26 '13 at 20:17

I know. I am writing my Magister Thesis about gamification and that for I need to know every little bit about this sites. Only thing that bothers me, is that I don't have clue about programming... Greetz vom Germany. :-D –  Don Dio Jul 26 '13 at 20:20

Greetz from Deutscheland, as well. Wenn du wissen willst, was ein Stapelüberlauf ist, kannst du das hier nachlesen: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_overflow Aber was hat stackoverflow mit gamification zu tun? Ich weiß, das gehört nicht in die comments, das sollte im Chat geklärt werden. –  bouscher Jul 26 '13 at 20:22

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Someone asks a question and it's put on a stack, another one asks the next question and it's also put on a stack, the next one asks and the stack grows and grows and grows. This is what happens here in this Q&A world.

A computer program usually calls subroutines which call subroutines which also call subroutines and so on. All local variables of a currently running routine are saved (pushed) on stack before a subroutine is called. This stack is a limited memory block, usually enough for a lot of subroutine calls, also since after a while the subroutine calls finish and the program returns to their appropriate caller routine and pops the saved variables from stack to continue the caller routine. But when there is too much to be saved on stack or too many subroutines are called, that memory usage will overflow and continuing writing new variables to stack corrupts neighboring memory parts and often causes program crashes. So a stack overflow is a well-known sort of bug for programmers.

That Q&A (question and answer) corner called "StackOverflow" is for programmers, and the wordplay was a nice one to keep the site in mind.

I'm not sure if all other Q&A corners, including this one, are added later, and that's why StackOverflow is the word often associated with the whole StackExchange server.

share|improve this answer

Auch dann wird es mit 'v' geschrieben. Das Verb zu safe ist to save. –  Em1 Jul 28 '13 at 21:45
I'd realy like to vote up your answer, but since I've only got 14 Reps I can't. grrrr.... –  Don Dio Jul 30 '13 at 11:57

@DonDio You still can set this answer to your "accepted answer" to show that this is what you were looking for. –  Em1 Jul 30 '13 at 13:09

@Em1 Worked. Thanx for the advice. :-D –  Don Dio Aug 3 '13 at 16:37

Translation:

Stack Overflow - Bufferüberlauf (equivalent: Stapelüberlauf) Links to Wikipedia (german)

The term describes the following bug:

A progarm saves local variables (data) of a currently running routine or subroutine on a certain memory (Buffer), if these (sub)routines generate more data, than the buffer is able to save, previously data will be overwritten.

share|improve this answer
Auf Deutsch aber "Puffer", oder? Und angesichts der Tatsache, dass oft sorgsam zwischen Stack und Heap unterschieden wird, ist 'certain memory' recht schwammig. –  user unknown Jul 30 '13 at 12:50

Note that a stack is a special buffer where new data is allways appended, and retrieved vice versa (LIFO=last in first out). But buffer memory is not always a stack. –  falkb Jul 30 '13 at 19:09

This answer is as general and unspecific as possible, because I dont have the certain knowledge to give a specific answer. Feel free to edit!!! I am not a programmer. I study media science and write my magister thesis about gamification as a new form of user engagement. I am involving with this site, because I want to know what I'm writing about... –  Don Dio Aug 3 '13 at 16:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.