Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the difference between the three expressions above? I'm pretty sure that "Englisch Kurs" is right, since I've seen it before, but are the others wrong? If yes why?

And what about "Sprach Schule"? Is that right too? Or should it be Sprachschule?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

Englischkurs is correct.

If I read an offer for an Englisch Kurs I would think I get lessons from a native English speaker, because the title seems to be defined by somebody who speaks English - not by somebody who speaks German.

Englischer Kurs sounds grammatically correct, but it does not mean language lesson. You may use it, if a school offers lessons in English and French. Then you have an englischer Kurs and a französischer Kurs. Or maybe you have a cooking lesson in English and French. Then you may say englischer Kurs to explain which lesson you mean.

Sprachschule is correct, Sprach Schule is not correct.

share|improve this answer

It seems to me there is an on-going tendency to separate compound nouns with spaces, and sometimes these words are joined back together again with hyphens ("English-Kurs"). In my physics course, I often see words such as 'Planck-Konstante' or 'Quanten Theorie"; I suppose it is especially common with technical or newly-coined terms and with people who can also speak English. –  blutorange Aug 2 '13 at 21:14
I think, the problem with the use of spaces within compound nouns is that people “copy” from English terms. But that does not mean that it is correct. “Quantenmechanik” is correct. “Quanten Mechanik” is not. You can, however, use a hyphen to connect two nouns. This makes a lot of sense if the compound noun would be very long as the hyphen may help to make the word easier to grasp. –  Lars Kiesow Aug 5 '13 at 0:33

Es kann hilfreich sein um die Erfassung wie in Ur-Instinkt zu vereinfachen. Heute hatte ich kurz Schwierigkeiten das Wort Wachaumarathon zu identifizieren. Wachau-Marathon wäre hier hilfreich gewesen. Kombinationen unterschiedlicher Sprachen wie Back-Shop sind auch mit Bindestrich leichter erkennbar. –  user unknown Aug 8 '13 at 1:57
add comment

Englisch Kurs is wrong. It contains a so-called Deppenleerzeichen. Correct is Englischkurs.

See the relevant Wikipedia article: Leerzeichen in Komposita

It’s an error you’ll see very often. Collections of photos are at Flickr and this blog.

Related questions:

share|improve this answer

+1 for all the internal refererences :) –  Takkat Aug 7 '13 at 13:15
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.