Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What are the equivalents in German for software developer positions: junior developer, middle developer, senior developer, lead developer?

share|improve this question
Are this expressions well defined in English? I'm in doubt. See e.g. programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/117179/… –  knut Aug 8 '13 at 18:29
add comment

closed as off-topic by Baz, Dustin, Em1, c.p., chirlu Aug 10 '13 at 14:25

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

afaik we Germans use the English expressions for job titles. But if you would like to translate them directly, you could say:

• junger Entwickler / junior Entwickler
  • Entwickler
  • erfahrener Entwickler
  • Entwicklungsleiter

But I guess nobody uses a German equivalent for junior/senior developer.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for your help. Also I've seen at heise.de term "Führender Entwickler" - is it "senior developer" or "lead developer" equivalent? –  Artem Izyumov Aug 9 '13 at 6:03
I would say it's lead developer but I never heard that term before. If you want to use Führender Entwickler be careful - cause with Führen or Führender people always quick associate that with the fuehrer. And that's defenitely no association you would like to have with your job title. –  Bertram Nudelbach Aug 9 '13 at 7:59
add comment

You can take a look at monster.de, and search for "Java".

I would add "Softwareentwickler" to Bertram's answer.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.