What are the equivalents in German for software developer positions: junior developer, middle developer, senior developer, lead developer?

2 Answers 2

afaik we Germans use the English expressions for job titles. But if you would like to translate them directly, you could say:

• junger Entwickler / junior Entwickler
  • Entwickler
  • erfahrener Entwickler
  • Entwicklungsleiter

But I guess nobody uses a German equivalent for junior/senior developer.

• Thanks for your help. Also I've seen at heise.de term "Führender Entwickler" - is it "senior developer" or "lead developer" equivalent? Aug 9, 2013 at 6:03
    I would say it's lead developer but I never heard that term before. If you want to use Führender Entwickler be careful - cause with Führen or Führender people always quick associate that with the fuehrer. And that's defenitely no association you would like to have with your job title. Aug 9, 2013 at 7:59
    @BertramNudelbach: Seriously? The word "führen", and other words related to it, including very concretely the word "Führer" (as a short form of "Reiseführer" (travel guide) or "Bergführer" (hiking guide)) are commonly used in nowadays' German and, aside from situations where it's intentionally used as some kind of a pun, I doubt anyone would really make the connection to Hitler's title. The more critical misunderstanding that I see arising from "Führender Entwickler" is that is sounds rather like a quality assessment, as if the developer had proven to be the best ("führend") based on ... May 17, 2015 at 12:55
    ... some competition, and with respect to his or her skills and knowledge. At least, that would be my first association when I hear "Führender Entwickler", as opposed to the intended meaning of a "development team leader" ("Anführer", "Leiter"). So, @ArtemIzyumov, you may want to be careful with "Führender Entwickler", but IMHO not for the reason proposed by Bertram. May 17, 2015 at 12:57

You can take a look at monster.de, and search for "Java".

I would add "Softwareentwickler" to Bertram's answer.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.