Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My dictionaries list both genug and genügend as "sufficient, enough, etc."

Are there any differences between the two other than one functions as a participle of genügen?

Additionally, are these two interchangeable?

share|improve this question

May I ask you why you rollbacked the title? There's sort of consent how we handle things like this on GLU and other stackexchange sites. Regarding titles we do not use capitalization for each word and we put quotation marks around the words in question. It's quite sensible to handle this equally for all questions. –  Em1 Aug 12 '13 at 8:23

@Em1 Nothing personal at all, just don't like having my posts edited when they certainly don't require it. I don't see how it affects anything. –  Dustin Aug 17 '13 at 5:00
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Broadly speaking, both words can be used as adjective but only genug can be used as adverb. Sharing their meaning and being interchangeable, they mean ausreichend, or hinreichend and can be translated with sufficient and enough.

I'd say that you can replace genügend with genug (almost) always but not vice versa. I think there's a slight tendency to use genügend when referring to an uncountable noun while people rather use genug when it's countable.

Er hat nicht genügend[=genug, ausreichend] Acht gegeben.

Ich habe noch genug[~viel] Arbeit vor mir. (genügend quite rare)

You cannot use genügend as adverb.

Ich habe genug gesehen. (not genügend)

Er ist alt genug. (not genügend)

You can place genug before and after a noun but genügend must precede the noun.

Er hatte Zeit genug um sich auf die Prüfung vorzubereiten.

Er hatte genug Zeit um sich auf die Prüfung vorzubereiten.

Er hatte genügend Zeit um sich auf die Prüfung vorzubereiten.

Er hatte ausreichend Zeit um sich auf die Prüfung vorzubereiten.

When you search the Internet you will find some notes that genug is a particle (namely Gradpartikel) and it's also used as indefinite pronoun (like some, many etc.).

Semantically speaking, that's correct but this is a finer point of language analyzing and does not help you to fully understand its usage at all.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.