Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I thought the translation for What do you do when you get up? would be:

Was machst du, wenn du stehst auf?

But I've read it is:

Was machst du, wenn du aufstehst?

share|improve this question
Wieso sollte es? –  user unknown Aug 11 '13 at 14:25
Ist schon naheliegend, weil der entsprechende Hauptsatz Du stehst auf lautet. –  chirlu Aug 11 '13 at 19:08
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 10 down vote accepted

I think it makes more sense to look at it the other way round:

The Verb actually is "aufstehen".

The separation of the prefix in certain contexts happens because it's a "trennbares Verb" (separable verb).
When used in a main clause, the prefix moves to the end of the clause. In a dependent clause it doesn't. Since what you have in your example is a dependent clause, the thing stays together.

Also related:

share|improve this answer

very nice answer ! –  Emanuel Aug 12 '13 at 10:50
add comment

The verb always comes at the end in a relative clause (Nebensatz).
Wenn, weil, während, als etc. usually signify the relative clause of a sentence.

Was machst du, wenn du stehst auf?

is wrong as the verb aufstehen will be combined in a relative clause when conjugated form of stehen goes at the end.

share|improve this answer
The gist of the explanation is right, but note that inversion occurs in all subordinate clauses, not just relative clauses. In fact, none of your examples is a relative clause or a connector introducing a relative clause. –  chirlu Aug 11 '13 at 19:06

I'm sorry, I meant subordinate clause, wrong words. –  thandasoru Aug 13 '13 at 4:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.