Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know you have to say

Es geht mir gut.

but

Ich bin gut.

sounds good to me. Can I say that?

share|improve this question
"I know you have to say" ... Just leaving that here –  Vogel612 Aug 17 '13 at 18:55

Ich bin gut is used as self praise. –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 21 '13 at 22:21
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 13 down vote accepted

Both are grammatically correct, but wih a different meaning.

Es geht mir gut.

is

I feel good or I am well.

You can say

Ich bin gut.

but this means that you are an awesome boy or that you are good at something... for example, you could use it in the following situation:

You did something and the other person says:

You succeeded! I'm surprised!

Then you could respond:

Ja, Ich bin gut.

So to answer your question: No, it's not a valid answer for "How are you?", but it would be correct as an answer to "How are you at building sand castles?".

share|improve this answer

'good boy' sounds extremely like a dog... 'ich bin gut' is more like 'I am awesome' –  Vogel612 Aug 17 '13 at 18:55
@Vogel612 Thanks, I adapted my answer, –  knut Aug 17 '13 at 18:57

Thanks but direct translation is I am good which in English means I am fine. –  mjosh Aug 17 '13 at 19:11
Tatsächlich ich bin großartig. –  mjosh Aug 18 '13 at 8:00
@Dustin well you need a lot of ambiguous thinking behind it if you just hear this without any suggestive context, but in general one can always give sexual connotations to almost any given sentence... Freud was right after all –  Vogel612 Aug 20 '13 at 14:21
show 1 more comment

Never heard it said. Wouldn't even dream of using it. I can imagine that being extremely steeped into anglicisms might condition someone to think that it is more acceptable that it actually is, but after 21 years spent on the Internet I still haven't reached that point. In case that wasn't clear enough: no, I don't think it is understandable.

add comment

Nicht nur antwortet man nicht mit "Ich bin gut" auf die Frage "How are you?", man fragt auch nicht "Wie bist Du?" sondern "Wie geht's Dir?"

"Es geht mir gut" ist aber gut und richtig.

add comment

The answer "Ich bin gut." is not a correct German reply to a question like "Wie geht es dir?", because this answer refers to what kind of person one is, not to what kind of state the person is in.

Alternative common answers are:

• Mir geht's gut.
  • Alles klar.
  • Es geht bestens.

or simply just:

Gut.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.