Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you say in German something that is easy to do. I have found "ein Klacks" in my dictionary, but I have a great doubt about the meaning of the word and how to use it.

share|improve this question

Kindergeburtstag! (Sorry, being only one third serious.) –  Carsten Schultz Aug 21 '13 at 22:41
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 13 down vote accepted

"Klacks" is indeed a very colloquial term, referring to the ease of completing a task. However, "Klacks" is very rarely used on its own in contrast to "piece of cake".

Answering to the question:

"Do you think you can do that for me?" - "Piece of cake!"

You wouldn't say just "Klacks" but rather:

"Glaubst du, du könntest das für mich machen?" - "Kinderspiel!"

in a sentence:

"Das ist ein Kinderspiel." - ('That is as easy as a game for little children.')

or you could also say

"Das schaffe ich mit links!" - ('That is something I'd even manage using my left hand')

• (which is historically referring to the fact, that most people were educated using their right hand to fulfill all sorts of tasks)

There are some more expressions used in this context, but those are probably the most common ones.

Here's a list: http://www.dict.cc/?s=piece+of+cake

share|improve this answer
And if you were looking for an appropriate adjective you can go with kinderleicht. –  Em1 Aug 21 '13 at 7:05

Sag "Ein Klacks." wenn Du zwingend ganze Sätze vermeiden willst. Mit absichtlich misslungenen Übersetzungen lässt sich allgemein schlecht argumentieren. –  user unknown Aug 22 '13 at 12:32

Wie meinst du absichtlich misslungene Übersetzungen? Ich wollte einzig klar machen, was die ugs. Ausdrücke tatsächlich bedeuten. –  AnyOneElse Aug 22 '13 at 12:44
add comment

You can say "Das war ein Klacks" if something was easy. You are mostly referring to a task you had to do or will have to do in the future.

Examples:

Did you manage to learn German? Answer: Sure thing, that was a piece of cake.
Hast du es geschafft Deutsch zu lernen? Antwort: Na klar, das war ein Klacks.

Source: I am German.

This isn't Yahoo! Answers; you don't have to add a source. :p –  Dustin Aug 21 '13 at 4:23
@Dustin: your are wrong here. We should always add our source in case we quote external content. –  Takkat Aug 21 '13 at 6:14
luckily source: self is not external content to quote –  Vogel612 Aug 21 '13 at 8:23
@Vogel612... source:self IS external content but it is self quoting ;) –  Emanuel Aug 21 '13 at 9:21

@Takkat - is it really necessary when the source is yourself? –  Dustin Aug 22 '13 at 6:05
show 1 more comment

Piece of cake! Refers to the easiness of something.

I've done this before, that's gonna be a piece of cake.

or

I assembled my Ikea furniture alone. That was a piece of cake.

So it seems to always refer to the past. For you don't know if something will be a piece of cake if you have never done it before, unless you are just trying to cheer somebody up.

I'd go with anyone else's suggestions:

Kinderspiel, leichtes Spiel, Klacks.
Used as past tense: Das war ein <>.
Or Das ging wie's Brezelbacken.

Used as future tense: Das wird ein <>.

If you want to say you are optimistic about finishing something quickly you can also say:

"Damit mache(n) ich/wir kurzen Prozess. I.e: We make quick work of it.

In which region people say "Brezelbacken"? I didn't know that. –  Em1 Aug 21 '13 at 10:40

I'm from Thuringia. –  DisplayName Aug 21 '13 at 10:44

Fun Fact: I lived in Baden Wurttemberg AND Bavaria and never heard of it ;) (Brezelbacken) –  AnyOneElse Aug 22 '13 at 6:40

I'm from swabia and I would say that Brezelbacken has a further meaning of being a task done in fast repetion. So you realy can't use it for a single task. –  Portree Kid Aug 22 '13 at 8:04
Ich verstehe nicht die Bedeutung die auf die Vergangenheit gelegt wird - wozu? Zumal es ja nicht stimmt - man kann sich arg verschätzen und ebenso die Aussage verneinen (das wird kein Klacks). –  user unknown Aug 22 '13 at 12:39
add comment

I'd like to add that at least where I live (Lower Saxony), "Klacks" is a little outdated. People will understand you, but it's not what a (younger) native speaker would say. In fact, I'm almost 30 years old and I never heard anyone say "Klacks". Here, more common ways to say it would be "kein Problem", "kein Thema" or "kein Ding" (the latter two are more informal and especially used in spoken language). But again, it might be a regional/dialect thing.

Im Jargon sagt man auch gerne "Das ist kein Act!" aber ist das schon Deutsch? :) –  user unknown Aug 22 '13 at 12:43
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.