Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I translate the sentence "There is nothing more to talk about." into German? I have three sentences in mind:

1. Es gibt nichts mehr, über was zu reden.

2. Es gibt nichts mehr, worüber zu reden.

3. Es gibt nichts mehr, darüber zu reden.

I think only 1. should be correct, and 2.,3. are wrong. Is that right?

share|improve this question

The subject is missing in all of your relative subclauses. –  Deve Sep 1 '13 at 16:46
@Deve Right, so does that mean there's no construction in German like "There is nothing more to talk about" in English? In the English version, there is no subject after the "to". In German we can say "Es gibt nichts mehr zu sagen", but when there is a preposition ("about" in this case), must we completely change the structure? –  Mika H. Sep 1 '13 at 17:24
I would simply translate with Es gibt nichts mehr zu besprechen. But what is the context? –  Deve Sep 1 '13 at 17:39

As an informal, direct response to someone, "Da gibt es nichts mehr drüber zu reden." would sound more natural. –  kapep Sep 2 '13 at 0:00
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

If you want a construction which is nearer to what you have suggested then you can use

Es gibt nichts mehr, worüber zu reden wäre.

Otherwise choose one of the transitive verbs that the others have suggested, “bereden” or “besprechen”. Depending ob what meaning you want to convey, you could also say

Es gibt nichts mehr zu diskutieren.

That one to me would indicate (depending on the context, of course), that you have decided and want no further discussion.

share|improve this answer

Thanks Carsten. Would you please elaborate on your first suggestion "Es gibt nichts mehr, worüber zu reden wäre"? Why is it okay to use "worüber zu reden wäre"? What kind of construction is this? –  Mika H. Sep 1 '13 at 18:47

Or simply: Es gibt nichts mehr zu reden. Ganz einfach, kein Konjunktiv, oder sonstige Spielchen. Although using the latter was my first idea. –  alk Sep 1 '13 at 18:53

@MikaH.: That's subjunctive. Assuming there still would be something with the need to be talked over. But also to do this is not needed anymore. A way to stylistically express a quiet final decision. –  alk Sep 1 '13 at 18:56
add comment

They all seem wrong to me. I would translate it as "Es gibt nichts mehr, worüber wir reden könnten.". Other solutions would be "Wir haben nichts mehr zu besprechen" or "Wir müssen über nichts mehr reden".

add comment

The most literal translation Es gibt nichts mehr zu reden. seems the most clear, honest way to express that there is nothing to talk about anymore.

In this case, we must be using "reden" as a transitive verb. Is that actually correct? –  Mika H. Sep 1 '13 at 20:00
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.