Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I think I understand the meaning of this sentence, but I don't understand how it's constructed.

I'm assuming ansteigen (to rise) is the verb, and ein Kuppeldach (a dome) is the subject and Nach der Mitte means 'towards the middle', but I don't understand the role of the words zu, sie or wie.

I'd really appreciate any help.

share|improve this question
What the hell... Is this a German sentence? - Das versteht kein Schwein... –  Em1 Sep 6 '13 at 11:22

@Em1: The verb gives you orientation: Split into 3 pieces Nach der Mitte zu|stieg sie an|wie ein Kuppeldach, and that may help you to understand the structure –  falkb Sep 6 '13 at 11:53
@Em1: Nach ... zu ist sehr literarisch (oder regional?), ansonsten geht's. Das Buch hat übrigens den Deutschen Jugendbuchpreis erhalten; es ist aber auch schon vierzig Jahre alt. –  chirlu Sep 6 '13 at 12:12

@chirlu: 40 Jahre schon? Verdammt ... ;-) –  alk Sep 7 '13 at 8:11

Es ist schon sehr traurig, wenn ein Satz von Muttersprachlern nicht mehr verstanden wird, nur weil eine Konstruktion etwas älter ist oder aus einer anderen Region stammt. –  Carsten Schultz Sep 7 '13 at 10:49

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The subject is sie (referring to something before that sentence).

Nach ... zu is a somewhat unusual synonym of zu ... hin; your translation "towards the middle" is fine (but consumes the zu as well).

Wie means "like". It introduces a description (by comparison) of the way in which the whatever rises: "like a dome".

share|improve this answer

Some additional data. –  Carsten Schultz Sep 7 '13 at 10:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.