Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've often wondered about this. "Buchstabe" obviously(?) derives from the letters used in the early printing presses (think Gutenberg). What did they call a letter before Gutenberg?

enter image description here

update
Seems my assumption was wrong and it wasn't obvious after all. (Lucky that I added the question mark.) Thanks for the answers.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 14 down vote accepted

According to Wiktionary, the etymology of "Buchstabe" doesn't have anything to do with printing presses:

Herkunft: wahrscheinlich aus dem Germanischen: *bōks - Runenstäbchen (die unter Anderem aus Buchenholz gefertigt wurden) und *stab - senkrechter Strich in der Rune. (German wiktionary)

Etymology From Middle High German buochstap, from Old High German buohstab (“letter, writing”). From Proto-Germanic *bōkastabaz, from Proto-Indo-European roots *bʰagós (“book”) + *stěbʰ, *stemb (“support, stamp, be astonished”). Compare English bookstaff, bookstave. (English wiktionary)

This etymological explanation suggests that the word "Buchstabe" has been in use much longer than since the time of Gutenberg.

share|improve this answer

Ops. I have told several people the Gutenberg version :D... I should have looked it up. It just seemed so logical –  Emanuel Sep 7 '13 at 9:53

Simple answer: Buchstabe.

In ancient times, runes (the first letters in use for most Germanic languages) were carved into thin wood, often beech wood (German Buche).

The German words Buchstabe and Buch derive from the name of this tree, as does the English word "book". The same is true for the Nordic languages.

The word Buch was used for books already before they were printed.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.