Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Google translate gives me "In Summe und die Substanz?'

But is there a better, more idiomatic translation?

And is that "better" translation "im großen und ganzen?" (This more literally back translates to "by and large," or "on the whole.")

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Suggestions:

• im wesentlichen
  • im Kern
  • letztlich
  • im großen und ganzen
  • alles in allem
  • in groben Zügen
  • unter dem Strich (colloquial, but retains the mathematical metaphor)
  • summa summarum (a Latin phrase, sometimes used in elaborated language)

As so often, it depends on context which is suitable.

The phrase proposed by Google Translate is probably incomprehensible to any German who does not recognize the English original in it.

share|improve this answer
Another possibility would be Alles in allem. –  Wrzlprmft Sep 9 '13 at 13:51

@Wrzlprmft: Ich benutze bewußt die alte Rechtschreibung, deshalb habe ich deine Bearbeitung rückgängig gemacht. –  chirlu Sep 9 '13 at 16:20

"In groben Zügen" may also not be comprehensible to all Germans. –  Em1 Sep 9 '13 at 20:15

@Em1: Really, is it limited to some regions? I was not aware of that. –  chirlu Sep 9 '13 at 20:22

I don't know details. Just know that I've never heard it before. If I had heard it from a foreigner I'd guess that it was a literal translation from their language. –  Em1 Sep 10 '13 at 5:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.