Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've heard many times people saying something what I've heard like 'Ja, imm' oder 'Ja, ihm' meaning 'Yes, exactly'. However, I couldn't find such phrase, so I think I could have heard that word not correctly.

What is that word in that phrase? Is it some regionalism (I've heard that in Bavaria), or jargon?

share|improve this question

Ja, immer? --> Yes, always? –  alk Sep 10 '13 at 18:24

@alk I'm sure it was used in the meaning, 'exactly', and I haven't heard any sound after 'm' –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Sep 10 '13 at 18:33
Too specialized, ask it in Chat. Nobody will ever have the same question, nor will it be helpful in similar situations. –  user unknown Sep 11 '13 at 12:26

I have also heard version, it can be 'stimmt' –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Sep 12 '13 at 20:24

Not to specialized, see accepted answer. I hear it almost on daily basis. –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Feb 18 at 13:54

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I'm pretty sure you've heard "Ja, eben" which is reduced in speech to "Ja, ehm" which may sound like "Ja, ihm" when e turns to m. The word eben is in the meaning of bestätigt which means acknowledged.

share|improve this answer

It's possible, however, how it has gone to that, that 'eben' was reduced to 'ehn'? –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Sep 10 '13 at 19:19
@Łukasz Lech: phonetical reasons, b+n turns to m, like in Hammse das gesehen? where Hammse is the reduced spoken version of Haben Sie –  falkb Sep 10 '13 at 19:23

in Hochdeutsch or in Bairisch? –  РСТȢѸФХѾЦЧШЩЪЫЬѢѤЮѦѪѨѬѠѺѮѰѲѴ Sep 10 '13 at 19:25
not sure, but I suppose that kind of reduction is independent from dialects –  falkb Sep 10 '13 at 19:30
Ich glaube, Berlinisch wäre „Hammse det jesehen?“ –  Carsten Schultz Sep 10 '13 at 20:12

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.