Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I watched a few videos on German alphabet, like these 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6vquyjxImk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlYLQvtG1as.

It seems like the difference between E and I is very subtle - both sound like "ee" in English to me. How do I make sure I pronounce it correctly.

This question is about pronouncing the letters E and I themselves, outside words.

Thanks

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The English ee, as in speech, is the same sound as the German I [iː]. There is no exact equivalent to German E [eː] in the standard varieties of English (Received Pronunciation, General American).

The difference in pronunciation is the degree to which the jaw is opened; [e] is less open than [i]. The position of the tongue is the same for both vowels (namely, in the front).

share|improve this answer

Thanks, but I still don't understand. Could you give a couple of examples for I and E? I feel like "neben" and "isst" are good examples on how to say E and I; am I right? –  Oleksiy Sep 12 '13 at 6:17
Neben is fine; but isst has a short i that in German is not only shorter, but slightly less open and less front as well. Examples with a long i: sie, die, Biene, niedrig. –  chirlu Sep 12 '13 at 6:29

@Oleksiy But only the first e in "neben". The latter one is either is omitted (nebn) or may sound almost like ä in some regions (nebän). –  Em1 Sep 12 '13 at 7:07
@Oleksiy There might be differences based on your dialect, but I believe the German "e" to sound like the expression "meh" while the German "i" sounds like "me". –  npst Sep 12 '13 at 10:25

In addition, in many regions the sound "ä" is more and more pronounced as an "e": ähnlich --> ehnlich, schräg --> schrehg etc. –  marsze Sep 12 '13 at 12:23

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.