Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Recently I moved to the Konstanz area, and what I noticed is people saying "Das ist kein Thema" for everything.

So, what exactly does it mean? And when to use it?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Usually, this is used in the sense of "no problem".

"Kannst Du mich bitte heute abend vom Kino abholen?" -- "Klar, kein Thema."

"Das ist aber ganz schön teuer." -- "Geld ist kein Thema."

It can of course be used literally, for example when someone is reprimanded for bringing up a topic they shouldn't have:

"Gestern hatte ich scheußlichen Durchfall." -- "Das ist kein Thema für den Esstisch!"

...or when discussing a list of topics:

"Sprecht Ihr dann auch über Umweltverschmutzung?" -- "Nein, das ist in der Konferenz kein Thema."

share|improve this answer

And is this like local thing, or do people all over Germany use it? Cause I never heard it before –  BЈовић Sep 16 '13 at 15:29
@BЈовић I guess it's all over Germany. –  Em1 Sep 16 '13 at 15:38
add comment

The basic meaning is "This is no topic requiring further discussion". It can be used in many contexts, such as to avert expressions of gratitude, or to acknowledge a request. Similar phrases that also cover a wide range of uses include kein Ding (regional) and kein Problem.

Kannst du das bis morgen mittag erledigen? – Kein Thema.

Vielen herzlichen Dank dafür! – Kein Thema.

Tut mir leid, daß ich so spät bin. – Kein Thema.

+1 for kein Ding –  fifaltra Dec 29 '13 at 9:22
add comment

As far as I remember, it was invented in west germany in the early nineties or maybe even before that. I have never heard it in the eighties.

Don't overuse, since some people hate it, and it's not really useful anyway. It means something like nevermind, indicating that some issue does not need further discussion. But it can not be reliably understood as either yes or no.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.