Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was watching a German show, and they kept using the word sowieso? Can someone explain to me what it means?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Baz, Wrzlprmft, Vogel612, Ingmar, npst Feb 27 at 13:40

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

„sowieso“ means „ohnehin“. –  Carsten Schultz Sep 21 '13 at 17:06

2 Answers 2

The most literal translation for the adverb sowieso is

one way or the other

Normally, the English anyway translates the word well.

Some examples:

"Ich kann es sowieso nicht verhindern."

"I can't prevent it anyway."

Sometimes it's used as informal answer and means of course:

"Kommst du morgen zur Feier?" - "Sowieso!"

Also, as mentioned in a comment to this answer, there is another special meaning, for example:

"Ein Herr Sowieso hat angerufen."

In this case Sowieso is a placeholder for a name that the person getting the phone call didn't remember or understand.

share|improve this answer

If you want to get a more detailed description of which "anyway" it is you can check out the article I have written about "eh"... both words are synonyms...yourdailygerman.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/meaning-eh –  Emanuel Sep 21 '13 at 21:09

sowieso is the same as anyway, in any case or anyhow. I am a native german speaker.

examples:

das brauchst du ihm nicht zu sagen, das weiß er sowieso schon
du kannst es mir mitgeben, ich gehe sowieso dahin

you don't need to tell him, he knows it anlready you can give that to me, i will go there anyway

something like this :)

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.