Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The verb zustimmen is used with a dative, whether you're agreeing to a person or to a statement.

(a) What do we do if we want to say "I agree with that"? Would

Ich stimme das zu

be correct?

(b) What about "I agree that ..."? Would it be

Ich stimme zu, dass ...

Or should we add some da-compound, like

Ich stimme damit zu, dass ...

?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Yes, zustimmen is used with the Dativ case. So, your first example (a) is not correct, because Dativ of das is dem, not das:

Ich stimme dem zu.

(b) and (c) are fine. You can use zustimmen with a dass sub-clause (Inhaltssatz)

share|improve this answer

I wonder though, why dem instead of der? Do we just use the masculine pronoun by default? –  Mika H. Sep 29 '13 at 14:16
Ich stimme damit zu, dass … only works, if damit refers to something else, like Ich finde diese Idee toll. Ich stimme damit zu, dass …. –  Toscho Sep 29 '13 at 14:16

Can we say Ich stimme damit zu, dass wir jetzt zur Post gehen sollen? –  Mika H. Sep 29 '13 at 14:24
@Mika H.: It is a neutral pronoun, not masculine. Also, Toscho's remark is a bit confusing; the damit doesn't have anything to do with zustimmen, it means thus (and I'd prefer somit instead). However, you can say Ich stimme dem zu, daß. –  chirlu Sep 29 '13 at 15:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.